buttered gender rolls

No, PB. I think I’m just bored. I didn’t mean to disrespect one of the most respected posters. Sorry 'bout that.

Papabear, you want I should break one a’ Babars’ kneecaps?

[image]http://store1.yimg.com/I/again-glass_1525_2437355[/image]
I’m posting this because it was driving me insane becasue I couldn’t picture what the damn ankh looked like.

Shit, shit, shit

I’m posting this because it was driving me insane becasue I couldn’t picture what the damn ankh looked like.

I read that the Christian cross evolved from the ankh, with the feminine oval removed from the top. Looking at that picture, it seems pretty believable.

I guess it’s possible Roman soldiers could have seen an ankh and said, “Hey, bet if we nailed someone to one of those, it’d kill 'em.”

See, some Egyptian hieroglyphs were little pictures taken from daily life. Some pictures were used to represent individual letters and some represented groups of letters. Some of these hieroglyphs were words by themselves and some needed to be combined with other hieroglyphs to make a word, not unlike our root words, suffixes, and prefixes, or compound words.

The looped cross, whether based on a sandal strap, genitalia, or what-have-you, represented their word for “life” and translates into the English letters a-n-k-h. The end, that’s all, no mystery, no magic, no Satanism or paganism or witchcraft, sorry, just a regular old word drawn in an interesting way. It’s an important word, of course, and the Egyptians were big lovers of life and hoped the afterlife would be a continuation, that’s why they preserved their bodies and loaded all their stuff in a tomb. So of course the hieroglyph is prominent in their writing and art.

Leastways, that’s the way I learnt it.

“I hope life isn’t a big joke, because I don’t get it,” Jack Handy

Gr8Kat, could you post the link to that CAP site you talked about? I would like to learn more about the evil implications I’ve been missing out on all these years.

http://www.capalert.com/backtoschool/backtoschool.htm

“I hope life isn’t a big joke, because I don’t get it,” Jack Handy

Anybody remember the old TV show that opened with “Man, woman, life, death, infinity.”?

Gary

sure that was ‘BEN CASEY’. His mentor, Dr Zorba wrote the symbols onto a chalkboard while reciting their meaning

what was the symbol for death?

A walrus!

Goo goo goo joob. :wink:

I kinda remember that show. IIRC, “Birth” was an asterisk or some other star-shape, and “Death” was a cross.