Buying meat off a truck

I’m not buying meat from ANYONE who’s selling it from a truck, no matter how cheap it is. It’s either stolen or lousy quality, or both. How’s their quality control? You’ll never know, you’ve never seen them before and you’ll never see them again.

I’d be scared to eat such meat. I have no idea of how old it is, or of how well, or not well, it’s been kept.

I don’t know… they know where he lives, and they know he’s going to be eating meat of unknown quality in the near future. This could be the setup for part two of the scam, where the Wicked Good Antidotes truck just happens to be passing by and just happens to have a few cases of antidote left after they’re done with their deliveries.

Yeah, I fell for that one over 10 years ago when I was in college. The meat was really sub-par quality and barely edible. I ate it mind you, I was a poor college kid, but boy was it bad!

Well this just about sums it up. And as someone with a husband who buys this junk, Qadop, will you PLEASE call him and talk some sense into him???:smack:

The only place I was given the opportunity to buy some meat off a truck was at a strip joint. There was a mutual misunderstanding that benefited neither of us.

A friend of mine is a cattle farmer. His is a small operation, but he does sell to some nice restaurants in a major city. Perhaps because of his customers, he’s careful every step of the way: he selects the cattle feed himself, he arranges for necessary veterinary care, he watches over matings and births, he handles any deaths, and he selects the butcher who performs the slaughter and butchery. On this latter point, he refuses to deal with butchers who do not hang and age correctly, or who don’t deal with government inspectors.

The point is, that there are many points in the process where, if he was less scrupulous, he could cut corners, save a few dollars, and just raise and sell. He doesn’t. I’ll gladly buy his meat; but knowing the process, if it doesn’t come from him or a supermarket or a brick-and-mortar butcher shop, I’m not touching it.

BUTCHERS CHOICE!! Run like hell!

Unfortunately I was had by these dudes too. I paid about $200 for a bunch of meat that was BENEATH hospital grade. We couldnt eat ANY of it. The Tbones tasted all chemically, the fillets were like chewing on rawhide, the new yorks were all tendony. All of the meat smelled when we opened it.

My wife has never let me live that down. She had me dead to rights on that shit too. Warned me but let me roll on my own. She has forbidden me from buying anything off the back of a truck. Even Schwans.

Nothing is worse than when your wife was right…:smack:

My neighbor, who is losing it, got snookered by this scam, and her husband threw all the crap out. You know how good the freezer on that truck is? You have anyone to complain to if it is crap (and is there any reason for the meat not to be crap?)
My advice is to smile politely and refuse it, walk the guy to his truck and memorize the license plate number, then call 911 immediately.
Anyone know the health codes on this kind of thing?

What if it was meat off a truck … on a stick?

How do you put a truck on a stick?

Why, the same way you get down off an elephant, of course.

Very, very old scam. Like all the best dodges, it relies on letting the mark think he’s ripping off someone else. Another variant is with rugs: a marked delivery truck rolls up, and the driver tells you he was delivering these valuable Persian rugs to a decorator, but it turns out there was a mix up in the order, which was filled yesterday. Now, he can’t be bothered taking them back to the shop, so how’s about you buy these fine rugs, worth thousands, for $200. Aha, thinks you, this guy’s obviously nicked them from his boss or the client, and this is your chance to profit from his skullduggery. You haggle a bit and he agrees to take $100, since he’s got to shift them this afternoon. Money and carpets change hands, and you feel well-pleased with your craftiness as he drives off, having scored some priceless rugs for a pittance, until it turns out you’ve paid good hard cash for some worthless tat the dog wouldn’t sleep on.

Here’s the very first result I found on Google for “Meat Scam”.

Another common door to door scam here is that someone shows up with a truck full of asphalt paving material and says that it is left over from a big paving project and they need to get rid of it cheap so you can have at at a great price to pave your driveway.

It’s low quality, they put it on way too thin, and charge too much.

Aw, some of Schwan’s stuff is pretty good, for frozen food anyway. Pricey though.

We bought meat off a truck too. The guy caught us when we were flush and we bought about $200 worth. It was truly awful – we wouldn’t even feed it to the dog.

We’ve had better luck with the fish truck. Before you judge me, I live in Iowa and the only fresh fish within 50 miles is what we catch ourselves.

Well, I’m feeling a bit like the rube who spent $25 tossing baseballs in order to win a $2.50 stuffed animal at the carnival. My Wicked Good meat still sits in the freezer – I haven’t given up hope on its quality yet, but my expectations are much lower than when I forked over the cash in my vodka-fueled Christmas haze. I shall report back on the success (or lack thereof) of my filets when they finally hit the grill, and plate.

Thanks for all the replies. And lessons learned.

**PM ** (crossing fingers that someone doesn’t come along and tell me that the $$$ I sent to **Heifer International **only feed a scam which entices drunken third-world families to buy goat meat off a truck)