By what mechanism do dairy products thicken saliva?

The hamsters ate my post, so I’ll try again.

Kid, I am having difficulty trying to infer what you meant because to me everything you say comes across as pseudoscientific gibberish. You wrote, “I’m speaking about the various proteins and sugars that end up in the bloodstream as a result of eating dairy and their ultimate effect on saliva.” There is no ultimate effect. Nothing happens.

Certainly seems to me that you’ve been arguing a case the entire time. If all you’ve been doing is asking questions, then why are you so upset that my answer is a simple “no”?

DeVena, maybe the phlegm has been dripping down until you cough it up. Maybe some of the lower mucous membranes are being affected. Allergies spark dozens, maybe hundreds, of reactions from the immune system.

But milk protein allergies are fairly rare, and histamine-aided mucous reactions are rare even among those with milk protein allergies. 99+% of the adult population do not get these reactions. Even if a tiny amount of protein (not sugar) gets into their bloodstreams, nothing happens. For those 99+% of the adult population (in the US, although I think percentages are about equal elsewhere) the connection between milk and mucous is a myth.

Jesus your unreal. You do realize I’m the OP right? You do realize I’m asking a question right? I didn’t want people to think I was asking about a change in the quality of saliva from the mixing of what was eaten with the saliva that had already been excreted. I didn’t need someone explaining that milk is a thick liquid. I was asking about whether the products of digestion (or their inability to be digested) could have an effect on the composition of saliva. The products of digestion go through the bloodstream so I figured that was a decent term to help those interested in answering my question understand exactly what I was asking. Is that pseudoscience? Is it unreasonable to ask if something we eat affects something we excrete??? Even if the answer is no I hardly think it deserves the ridicule implied by “mysterious.”

Well, kid, you asked:

My answer, as a practicing physician and past medical scientist:
The mainstream medical community doesn’t believe that dairy thickens saliva, despite many anecdotal accounts and web site assertions to the contrary. Controlled, peer-reviewed research has failed to demonstrate any such phenomena.

Now on the net you’ll find no shortage of people willing to tell you why they think it does occur, and even their proposed mechanisms behind it. Many will have a string of academic qualifications. Their explanations will range from the quite plausible to the extremely bizarre. But they will still be explaining something which I don’t believe we have evidence of actually happening.

I’m still open to looking at evidence to the contrary. The mainstream scientific community has been in error before. Lots of times. I’ve been wrong even more than that!