CA Supremes Give Standing to Prop Proponents to Defend Laws

Hows the effort to get a repeal on the 2012 going? If that were to pass then the case evaporates.

I guess we’d better get rid of attorneys general completely and let legislators who sponsor enactments defend them, then. :rolleyes:

There’s something I don’t understand. How can a court deny legislative standing? Congress create the courts (III, 1) and IMHO as a non-lawyer, the President has standing in all issues dealing with constitutionality as he is the only person charged by the Constitution as having a duty to defend it (II, 1, 8).

I understand the concept of common law and that the courts have a right and duty to put controls on who can sue for what - but why can’t Congress mandate procedures on inferior courts that they themselves created (SCOTUS is contitutionally a different beast). For me this legislative oversight is inherent in the Constitution in III,2,2

Although this is about SCOTUS, To me this implies that Congress can regulate in what manner the courts hear cases and if they want to say “X has standing for violations of this law.” then the courts are obliged to follow.

Because of earlier bits of Article III:

Federal standing doctrine is based on SCOTUS’ interpretation (which has remained relatively consistent over time) of the “cases and controversies” language in Article III. No direct harm = no “case or controversy” [that the courts can fix].

pravnik’s post is a bit misleading; there’s nothing stopping Congress from expanding standing legislatively. The problem in Lujan was that the plaintiffs still had to show harm in order to fall under §7 of the ESA anyway.

So let’s say Congress were to pass a law that granted legislative standing. For the sake of argument call it the “Citizen Oversight Act” and in the act it said that any citizen could take a bureaucrat to court for not fulfilling their legal obligation (I know it is a horrible law but bear with me), would the courts have to recognize my standing to take the Secretary of Transportation to court to follow the (another madeup law) Imported Car Inspection law even if I don’t own an import?

If you fall into some other category of person who would be harmed by that failure, yes. If you’re just some guy, no.

shrug Blame Scalia.