California, the Most BEAUTIFUL State in the Union

Another vote for Mt. Lassen. I learned how to camp during the tens of trips there as a kid. That was the first real mountain I ever climbed. That eventually led to some pretty amazing solo treks in Tibet.

Now that I think about it I’ve seen a bit of California. My first exposure was when a friend and I rode our bicycles down route 1. We started in San Jose, went over the mountains through the misty morning to Santa Cruz, wound our way down to Carmel, then took Rt. 1 (basically) down to Malibu. Being from NJ, pretty much anything California had to offer was pretty amazing. The stretch between Carmel and San Simeon was the best.

Death Valley is pretty incredible. The sweep from the desert floor to the snowy top of Telescope peak is pretty mind-boggling.

I drove down 178 from 395 to Bakersfield along the Kern River. It was spring and everything was green and fresh open grassy hills and those little trees. It looked like a paradise to me. I was also coming out of a week and a half of UT, AZ, Death Valley desert.

Yosemite was nice, but peaceful and quiet it was not.

The Napa Valley is beautiful.

I wanted to enjoy the north coast but there was turmoil between me and the person I was seeing it with.

So much yet to see…

Two words; Point Reyes. Hit Drake’s Beach. This other site has some excellent images
from that area.

If you’re really sensitive, consider wearing a dramamine patch. The road can be rather winding at times.

The north coast of California is the most breathtakeingly beautiful place on earth. You have not seen trees untill you’ve seen a redwood.

Spooky, 1 is very very winding. If you are inclined to get carsick you can pretty much count on it happening while you are on 1. The views are worth it though. I second the recomendation of seeing Pont Reyes, it has a windswept majesty not to be missed.

Muir woods is a great way to check out the redwoods, but be prepared for it to be crowded. You’ll be on paved paths with tens if not hundreds of others - it is not the place to commune with nature, and parking can be a hassle. If you have time, stop at the Pelican Inn to have dinner or a pint - best English pub this side of the puddle, and just a mile or two from Muir woods.

With the number of folks who have mentioned the redwoods/north coast as a highlight of California, I feel truly blessed to live here!

Hmm. With Foolonthehill and Spooky set to be here soon, I almost think we could have a NoCalDope!

Twiddle

And my home The Great Imperial Valley. The desert in spring is inspiring !!! ( I don’t live there now, I’m near S.F.)

Spelling and grammer subject to change without notice.

Some of the finest beaches in the world from north to south.

Dodger Stadium, Edison Int’l field.

Mt Pinos, Millerton Lake, Big bear.

Highway 1 north from Montana de Oro, past the Rock at Morro Bay, through the area of Cayucos, Harmony, Cambria, San Simeon. Highway 46 from Cambria to Templeton. Springtime’s best.

Lookout Point, Twin Peaks, San Francisco.

Commerce, Cudahy, East Palo Alto, Hercules, Trona

The Sierra Nevada’s, especially near Donner Lake. I’ve been through about half a dozen times, the most recent was undoubtedly the most spectacularly beautiful sight of my life. Midnight, full moon, just enough clouds to let you know they were there, in February so there was snow coverage.

That said, the desert is quite beautiful in its own way. As someone mentioned earlier, the night sky in Death Valley is very impressive. Also, the desolation is a refreshing change.

In complete contrast to those two, Los Angeles at night from the air is completely awe-inspiring. It’s just a sea of lights, and if you’re near-sighted, you can take off your glasses and it becomes even more incredible.