Calling all East-Indian men!

1. 23??? My parents started questioning me at 17! They had a man lined up for me at 17! And again at 19! And at 20…which was when I finally left home. You’re very lucky.

2. I will attempt the cheese again!

1. 23??? My parents started questioning me at 17! They had a man lined up for me at 17! And again at 19! And at 20…which was when I finally left home. You’re very lucky.

2. I will attempt the cheese again!

Also to Ramesh:

I realize that sometimes it’s a joke. Sometimes it’s not. Take for example: a guy I used to IM every now and then. He started out by saying how he wasn’t looking. Then he was suddenly looking. So he starts by making these little jokes, every week at first, then slowly, sending me more frequent e-mails, and pretty soon he’s dogging it.

I’m not saying all Indian guys are jerks or idiots, heavens no. But there are jerks in every culture. :slight_smile:

I remember the time our gas station attendant asked me to marry his cousin so that he could get a green card. I was 17. (Now that I think about it, I wonder if it would have been statuatory rape?) Anyway I think a lot might just want the marriage for that.

i wanted to thank everyone for helping me see the humor in all this. Especially cowgirl and tdn. You guys are welcome over any time!

damn damn damn damn hamsters

I am being discriminated for not being humorous.

I want Equal Protection under the law to eat delicious Indian food at Elenia’s place

I guess I’m really rather lucky in that my parents have told me in no uncertain terms that they do not care if I don’t get married. I think they’ve realised that despite being able to speak Hindi (and Gujerati), being able to cook almost as well as my mother, watching Indian films, etc etc, I’m not a “typical” Indian girl, and so, are quite content to let me do my PhD, and carry on with an academic career, and not pressurise me into “settling down”. My mother’s nonchalance WRT to me and marriage could well be because she knows I’ve had non-Indian boyfriends, and would rather me not marry someone who’s not Indian.

However, with the rest of my family, its a different story altogether. I’ve been known to talk to a guy, and then, within a few weeks, “subtle” enquiries are being made (by members of my family! ) as to whether I’d be amenable to “meeting” someone. :rolleyes:

I guess I’m really rather lucky in that my parents have told me in no uncertain terms that they do not care if I don’t get married. I think they’ve realised that despite being able to speak Hindi (and Gujerati), being able to cook almost as well as my mother, watching Indian films, etc etc, I’m not a “typical” Indian girl, and so, are quite content to let me do my PhD, and carry on with an academic career, and not pressurise me into “settling down”. My mother’s nonchalance WRT to me and marriage could well be because she knows I’ve had non-Indian boyfriends, and would rather me not marry someone who’s not Indian.

However, with the rest of my family, its a different story altogether. I’ve been known to talk to a guy, and then, within a few weeks, “subtle” enquiries are being made (by members of my family! ) as to whether I’d be amenable to “meeting” someone. :rolleyes:

You should complain! I’m the one who gives the lady cooking tips that she’ll use to cook for cowgirl and tdn, and I don’t even get invited!

::grumbles discontentedly at the unfairness of it all::

So… Aankh. How’s your lamb kurma, baby?

Did someone call me?!

I did start reading this thread, but I figured the OP was focussing on Indians in the US only… my mistake!

I completely agree with the OP. However, I do believe the majority of the blame is to be laid at the door of the traditional Indian parent. In general, Indians marry early - guys are expected to be married by 25, and girls by 22!! And most of the time these marriages are arranged by the parents, where the kids (which is what most are that age) don’t have much of a say in the matter (that’s an ‘indian thing’ - do what your parents tell you to do). I think, in these families, it gets ingrained into the minds of the children that they should get married early, and if that’s how they’ve grown up, then that’s how they’re going to think, no matter which part of the world they live in. Maybe some of 'em are out to find their own mate, rather than have one picked for them - thus the urgency to marry!

I also think the reason why it’s mainly guys doing the proposing (obviously aside from your gender :)), is that the traditional ‘good’ Indian girl is not supposed to make that kind of move… her parents are supposed to do that. I’m 26 and some months, and my parents are being peppered with marriage proposals for me. I’m very grateful that my parents are not the kind I’ve described above. Heck, they themselves bucked the trend when they married!

And to answer the question: sure it’s possible. Try me :smiley: Be warned though - I’m not good ‘old country’ material. I don’t watch Hindi movies, I can’t stand the crap they call hindi pop music (I do enjoy ghazals and old hindi film songs though), I can’t cook indian food, I even speak better German than I do Hindi… but I’m game! I even promise I won’t ask you to marry me!