Campfire cooking suggestions

If you’re going to be eating a lot of fish over several days, you’ll probably want some flour or cornmeal or a breading mix for fried fish. I’d just make up a few ready to go ziploc bags of seasoned breading mix that you can use on a per batch basis and discard after coating. It’s very convenient and packs away better than a big box or bag of mix. I reccomend taking a tub of crisco or other hydrogenated vegetable oil for your frying needs. It stores and travels better than a big bottle of oil.

I like kebabs for camping. Make em up ahead of time- maybe some skewered sirloin chunks, onions and peppers, bag em and seal them with a marinade or rub for flavor and preservation, and simply store in a cooler with ice. Grill them over the campire on a grate.

Might I suggest meat-loaf in the fire. Get some large peppers and large onions (color of your choice). Make your favorite meat loaf recipe (ours is just ground beef, garlic salt, oatmeal, onion innards, and a bit of ketchup). Cut in half and gut the peppers and onions leaving a pepper or onion shell (onion innards go into the meat loaf). Make meat loaf balls to stuff into the the pepper and onion shells, don’t worry if there is a bit of meat overlap, we usually end up with about a 1/4 inch gap. Wrap stuffed peppers and onions in foil and toss into the fire, turn every 10-15 minutes. About 45 minutes later, ymmmmmmm.

For us it’s about 1/2 pepper/onion meat loaf per person. YMMV. :cool:

ETA: You can make and freeze them before you go. Silver balls of frozen food, mmmmmm.

I’ve used store brand (Target) with success, but yes, use the freezer bags as they are thicker and sturdier.

Don’t forget campfire beans. These can make a side dish if the fish are biting or a main one if they aren’t. The easy way is to use canned beans and whatever you like to season them in a dutch oven. Basically, it’s little more than heat and eat, but being over a campfire kind of gives them a better flavor. YMMV.

Easy Campfire Fajita Kebobs (*or Tandoori Kebabs)

Kebab Paste:
1 small can of chipotle and adobo
3 cloves of garlic
1/4 cup of vegetable oil
Juice of 3 limes
1 package of Carol Shelby’s Chilli mix (chilli powder mix, salt, and cayenne included–no masa, however).
1 bunch of chopped cilantro, optional

Add all ingredients in a blender and combine until the consistency of a thick paste or marinade .

4 pounds of sirloin kebab meat skewered alternating with onions and sweet green peppers,
Slather the kebabs with the Chipotle paste/rub and pack away in plastic bags.
Grill over the campfire.
Serve in flour tortillas, with your choice of toppings.

*Or alternately, you could add a cup, cup and a half, of plain yogurt to this paste as a kebob marinade and make a tandoori kebab and serve it on pita bread with your choice of toppings.

These will keep well for at least 48 hours with minimal refrigeration and probably just get better and mellower.However, I’ve never made this recipe, just going by instinct. It is spicy, however.

cooking with a pie iron is AWESOME!

That is all I gots to say.

Bread. Just unleavened dough from plain flour and water (actually, if you make it in the morning and leave it in a covered bowl all day, it will leaven itself a bit anyway). Plait it onto sticks and prop them over the coals. Simple but always surprisingly good.

You can bake the bread in the dutch oven, too. Comes out great.