Can a felon--after having served his sentence or not--serve as President? Or even run for office?

The POTUS has no need to carry a weapon since he is constantly surrounded by armed secret service. Being banned from owning a weapon as a felon would be no impediment to doing his/her job.

I get that. It was, as stated, a bit of irony. I know the POTUS is not going to lead a military charge :rolleyes:

Technically, of course, the President it not on the ballot in any state. So any restrictions would apply to his electors.

The presidents name and party will be on the ballot, and currently states get to decide who goes on there. The electors probably have standing to challenge the state, and as mentioned above they’d probably win their case.

There are actually two answers. If you were a judicial or executive officer the only bar criminalwise would be impeached, convicted and as punishment barred from office. Alcee Hastings was impeached and convicted but since he was never barred from office he has since become a Congressman.

Since Legislative officers cannot be impeached (and thus cannot be convicted). If they were expelled the House of Congress cannot bar them from taking their seat if elected (Powell v McCormack).

I suppose a third answer is that Congress could pass a law making conviction for treason a bar to holding office

but AFAIK they have not done so.