Can a layman learn GR and QM? REALLY learn?

Completely forgot to mention: Nobel laureate Gerard t’Hooft has a site called ‘Theoretical Physics as a Challenge’, where he goes over what topics to learn, and presents some resources for most of them.

That’s very interesting!

That said I think it’s still best to learn QM the old-fashioned way, becuase quanisation schemes are a level above basic QM. Though it’s helpful to know they exist.

Density matrices themselves are of course operators on the Hilbert space that is the state space of the system, representing statistical ensembles of quantum states.

Glad you think so, I always find myself wondering why it’s not better known. Well, I suppose it’s a bit harder to actually do anything useful with, but it may be useful in ‘anchoring’ a few otherwise perhaps rather abstract concepts.

I agree. Basically, I think it’s completely wrong-headed to try and slap quantumness on pre-existing classical theories – it ought to be the other way round, derive classical theories as the large h limit of quantum ones, but it’s a bit hard to get started that way. Everyone needs conceptual bridges, if only to burn them behind themselves!

Yes. I just hoped to get what we’re talking about when we talk about quantum mechanics at least within shouting distance of what has a more immediate physical content to those not used to* the more abstract elements of the theory. It’s still a far cry, but I tried what I could.
*I think what von Neumann said applies here as well, to a certain extent: “In mathematics you don’t understand things. You just get used to them.”

I have a few questions actually:

So in the simplest terms, it’s correct to say that the quantum state space of a system is a transformation of a deformation of it’s classical phase space?

In this quantum phase space indvidual points represent pure quantum states?

The dimesnionality of the quantum phase space corresponds to the dimensionality of the classical phase space?

The fact that we end up with density matrices comes from the fact we started off with a statistical description of the system?

I’ll do my best, but it’s been a while since I really looked into the stuff. Lest I mislead you, I remember this paper to be quite useful as a short introduction.

Depends on what you mean by that, I think. The algebra of operators on the Hilbert space of the system is isomorphic to the Moyal algebra (the deformation of the Poisson algebra) on its phase space.

Well, you don’t really have a notion of a precise point in phase space quantum mechanically, as that would entail both a definite momentum and position. The state is coded in the Wigner function, which handles pure as well as mixed ones (just as the density matrix).

I don’t see why it wouldn’t, but I haven’t really thought about it.

In the way I have presented it, yes. But you can also start from Hamilton’s equations and end up pretty well at the same point (as mentioned in the wiki). The fundamental input is the uncertainty principle.

Thanks again. That was exactly the kind of thing I was looking for when I started this thread.

Anyone inclined to learn something, can learn something.

I just read up on all the sciences.
Do the occasional thought experiment with my new info.
Some data correlates, others not so much.
I don’t run any of the math, just the ideas.

Usually, not so long afterward a show pops up about it, with proofs to support what I was thinking.

Kinda fun discovering stuff.
Keeps me outta trouble.
:cool:

I definitely think you could make it. One doesn’t need to be gifted to be a good scientist.
For starters, I think you could do worse than starting by watching a few of Yale astrophysicist Charles Bailyn’s lessons in his Introduction to Astrophysics (for GR, that is - no QM IIRC). In the lessons on black holes and relativity he sort of outlines the concepts of GR without going too much into the maths of it all. A very sensible approach for the novice, I think. Try to get a feel for the thought processes involved instead of the mathematics.
The same site has a series of QM lessons by Leonard Susskin from Stanford. I haven’t watched them, but it could be a starting point.