Can a submarine turn upside down?

Yeah, but the submarine would still need to be moving very quickly to overcome gravity.

Submarines need not be moving forward (underway under power) to change it’s position vertically in a water column. That’s what the buoyancy tanks are for.

I think RNATB meant that in order to have the apparent force in the submarine be towards the keel during a loop, so that you could go upside down without suffering all the horrible effects of everything falling towards the top of the sub, you’d have to go a lot faster than a sub is capable of.

So, using the standard A=v[sup]2[/sup]/R, and assuming a 500 m loop radius (I have no idea if that’s valid, but given that USN attack subs are about 100 m long, it seems reasonable), and A=2g= 19.6 m/s[sup]2[/sup], so at the top of the loop the apparent force is still 1g towards the keel, I get v=99 m/s or 192 knots. Even if we drop the radius to 200 m, and A=1.5 g so you’ve only got 1/2 g towards the keel, it needs to be travelling 54 m/s or 104 knots.

Thank for the info. In an Immelman turn, the keel would change from the outside of the loop to the inside of the loop but the seamen on the floor would still end up on the walls and ceiling and the plumbing wouldn’t work.

I love the mental image (“That’s not the deck, that’s the overhead!”), but I can’t imagine it working. The hull might even break, which Would Be Bad.

I looked at the Immelman page on wikipedia, which described it as a half loop followed by a half roll, not them happening simultaneously. Of course, the actual super-secret top speed of a Seawolf could be 200 kts - if the actual former submariners on the board stop posting on this thread, I’ll take that as confirmation.

That. Except all the math stuff I’m not smart enough to have supplemented my own post with. :smiley:

We call that Tuesday around here! :smiley: Sorry for the juvenile comment, but your post made me spew diet coke all over my keyboard. Thanks for the laugh, it came at the perfect time!

I have no idea why I find those examples so amusing. Its kind of reassuring in an odd way!

While conducting research on this topic (OK ‘research’ is a bit over the top given the nature of what I was reading about) I came across one person who, although he naturally couldn’t go into details about it, informed us that the B2 Stealth Bomber is kitted out with super-secret wave-gravity generators and is capable of low-earth orbit.

Now there’s an interesting image.

Forgot to say, thanks for the answers everyone!

So to be clear, it sounds like a sub can turn upside down, it’s just that it’s a very bad idea - correct?

I would never perform a “Philadelphia experiment” style manouver in anything LESS than nuclear!

In a nuclear sub, I think the engine room would not survive and some people would die—not because of the reactor, but because nuclear power plants are also steam plants.

I initially was just considering the steam generators having water going into the steam piping, but that’s not the worst of it.

That would be nothing compared to all of the condensate collecting below the main condenser suddenly pouring back into the furiously spinning turbine blades as the main engines are inverted. The main engines would likely explode. Here is a very basic schematic of a steam plant; the condenser is below the main engines and has lots of condensate in the “hot well” at the bottom.

Diesel engines might fare better: any oil filled sumps would of course empty and the oil would bathe the cylinders, but that might not kill the engines. Fuel would also stop flowing the way it is supposed to flow, but again that is likely not a death sentence.

Does indeed sound like you could possibly do it. Once.

More precisely, part of once.

I think the tale is fiction, like the one I was planing of writing 10 years ago.

I asked the same question, and a former submariner replied:

After ten years I have figured out how to get my fictional characters out of that predicament, but I’m not telling until I publish. :slight_smile:

Oh sure, its definitely fiction, which is confirmed by the knowledgable people in this thread. But I find those kind of science urban legends interesting.

Whats the name and basic outline of your book, again it sounds interesting!

Thank Og I served on an aircraft carrier. Nobody would ever ask the question if the flight deck would still work upside down.

You must be new here. :wink: What if the flight deck had a treadmill built into it…?

I should’ve made myself more clear, sorry. Yes he was assigned to be Commander of all submarine forces out of Norad … the ones on patrol that is.

He was a young Lt Commander when he surfaced under his first ship and they promoted him to Commander after that inquiry. He was a full Commander when he surfaced underneath his second ship off the coast of San Francisco and they promoted him to full captain with four stripes and assigned him to our FBM USS Ethan Allen SSBN 608 and after he gave the orders to the OOD to run around the Mediterranean at periscope depth without the scope up …

we figured he was bucking for admiral lol

What I’ve gathered from this thread is that “Yes, it’s possible to half roll a modern submarine if you really want to”. From other readings about modern submarines, I do believe there are many less complicated methods for self-destruction of the boat and killing of all it’s crew. Like going to the Marianas Trench, set the attitude to a 10 degree down bubble, and just waiting for the hull to implode? Setting off a warhead in the torpedo room? Leaving a window open?