Can adverse possession divide land?

I’m not sure what our state laws are on the taxes but I know of case where a business bought someone’s property, and it turned out part of that property was not owned by anyone. They claimed adverse possession based on the previous owner’s (deceased) use of the property and weren’t required to pay any taxes. I assume that’s because no taxes were ever assessed. I’m sure they’re now paying taxes on that piece of land.

No problem. You think this would be a rare thing, but it is not. Say John Doe, a widower, dies and according to his will, his 100 acre farm is legally devised equally to his two children, A and B. He also specifies that good friend C will be the executor of his estate.

Despite a bajillion cases to the contrary, when both children decide to sell the property, the deed is styled “C, as executor of the Estate of John Doe: Grantor, and Other Party: Grantee.” This is improper. Title to the property has vested in A and B and only they may convey it.

Invariably, either A or B, being the little assholes that they are, will complain in later years that they really didn’t want to sell the property, that Dad wanted them to keep it, that C didn’t get enough money for it, etc.

However, if it has been longer than 10 years, C’s mistake is cured. The Other Party owns the entire 100 acre parcel by adverse possession.

You could also have a case, for instance, where two farmers thought for generations that the boundary between their lands was the creek, only to find out when the heir to one family wants to sell the farm and move to the city that the original deeds actually specified a straight line. It’s easier for everyone involved to just treat the boundary the same way it has been for years, and so the law lets that happen.

Unless that creek has moved significantly. One of the farmers may have lost a lot of land over the years as the creek changed course and he’ll try to use the original deed to get it back.

Not just farmers. Sometimes it’s nations.

Presumably, adverse possession could divide the land if it were treated as more than one parcel.

If there were two cabins built on that 100 acres, and each inhabitant met the requirements for adverse possession? That would divide the land, right?

If the purpose of adverse possession is to codify assumed ownership of parts of land such that what people are acting like ends up being the actual legal title, there’s no particular reason to expect a one-to-one mapping between originally titled parcels and adversely possessed ones. In fact, any such relationship might be totally arbitrary.

No, it can divide up parcels of land. That’s what the examples upthread of encroaching walls or car parks are about.

Presumably the fence lasted 10 years without your wife complaining or trying to bypass it? If so, this is what adverse possession is all about. Not noticing that you’re blocked out of 1/3 of your property for 10 years…? Sounds like an interesting story. I assume this is one of these cases where nobody knew where the property line was, or a mercenary neighbour who decided to see if your wife did not know…

IIRC several jurisdictions are going to computerized title systems - meaning whatever the title database says, unless it was changed by fraud, is where title rests. No more adverse possession.

But adverse possession doesn’t recognize parcels per se, unless under color of title. Why couldn’t the same person argue that he had adversely possessed 2,000 acres of land because the customary use would be to build a cabin in the middle of it?

I understand that every state law is different, but if I were to build a cabin and clear five acres, how was my occupation of the other 95 acres open and notorious? Indeed, I didn’t even occupy it.

Core v. Faupal, 24 W.Va. 238 (1884) gives an excellent discussion on adverse possession in West Virginia. Yes, it was decided in 1884, but not one word of it has been overturned and it is taught in the law school as THE case on adverse possession here.

Short version, under color of title you get the whole thing. If you snuck on the property, you get your own enclosure.

This adverse possession stuff comes from common law, which is unwritten.

Most modern legislation on the topic redefined it as tresspass, or tennacy.

While it could mean the whole title of an acreage, if its fenced off and the adverse possession meant that the whole of the land was effectively used exclusively by the thief.
But it could also break up the title , such as someone being allowed to live in a house without a rental conctract ( even payment of rent can be seen as proof such a contract exists) that ensures its not seen as adverse possession.
If they used the house and cared for the garden around it, that area could be broken off. Because the common law predate most states land title law, the land law in the particular state may well contradict the idea that adverse possession can break up the title but not yet cancel adverse possession alltogether. If that is the case, then the theif must show exclusive use of the whole title, and clearly a letter from the president stating that is so is enough, right ??