Can Anyone Justify Banning Marijuana?

Well, I don’t have any house pets.

I always “harumph” when someone starts an argument over legalizing weed because the same people never make much of a peep over the outlawing of “drugs” that are [were!] already legal like flavored cigarettes or beer with caffeine in it. You paid no attention to the banning of those (heavily regulated) products being outlawed when they were up for review (and their prohibition signed into law by your savior Barrack Obama) so why should anyone pay attention to the drug you care about? Whats sauce for the goose is…! Right?

I could justify banning marijuana by arguing that alcohol and tobacco should be similarly banned. I won’t, though. Freak freely.

I got about 400+ of these as links in an email that I can forward along … or if you have facebook [which I dont] the lady who compiles the articles posts her links here.
I will fully admit that the seriously technical ones I have not got the training to understand.
ACEA- see ARACHIDONYL-2’-CHLOROETHYLAMIDE

ADD/ ADHD

Marijuana and ADD Therapeutic uses of Medical Marijuana in the treatment of ADD (no date)
Recipe For Trouble (anecdotal/ news - 2002 )
Association between cannabinoid receptor gene (CNR1) and childhood attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder in Spanish male alcoholic patients (full - 2003)
Cannabinoids effective in animal model of hyperactivity disorder (abst - 2003)
Cannabis 'Scrips to Calm Kids? (news - 2004)
Fitness to drive in spite (because) of THC (abst - 2007)
Science: THC normalized impaired psychomotor performance and mood in a patient with hyperactivity disorder (news - 2007)
Association of the Cannabinoid Receptor Gene (CNR1) With ADHD and Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (full - 2008)
Cannabis Improves Symptoms of ADHD (full - 2008)
Cannabis use and adult ADHD symptoms. (abst - 2008)
Autism, ADD, ADHD and Marijuana Therapy (news - 2008)
Why I Give My 9-year-old Pot (anecdotal/news - 2009)
ADDICTION RISK- PHYSICAL

Women’s Guide to the UofC (no date)
Cannabis Basics (no date)
10 Things Every Parent, Teenager & Teacher Should Know About Marijuana (4th Question) (no date)
Marijuana Myths, Claim No. 9 (no date)
Excerpt from the Merck Manual (excerpt - 1987)
Relative Addictiveness of Various Substances (full - 1990)

Anandamide, an Endogenous Cannabinoid, Has a Very Low Physical Dependence Potential (full - 1998)
Dependency and Cannabis (full - 1999)
Tod H. Mikuriya, M.D.

Chronic Morphine Modulates the Contents of the Endocannabinoid, 2-Arachidonoyl Glycerol, in Rat Brain (full - 2003)
Long term marijuana users seeking medical cannabis in California (2001–2007): demographics, social characteristics, patterns of cannabis and other drug use of 4117 applicants (full - 2007)
Lack of behavioral sensitization after repeated exposure to THC in mice and comparison to methamphetamine (full - 2007)
Merck Manual - Marijuana (Cannabis) (excerpt - 2008)
Study of 4000 indicates marijuana discourages use of hard drugs. (news - 2008)
Adolescent Exposure to Chronic Delta-9-Tetrahydrocannabinol Blocks Opiate Dependence in Maternally Deprived Rats (abst - 2009)
The Surprising Effect Of Marijuana On Morphine Dependence (news - 2009)
Active Ingredient In Cannabis Eliminates Morphine Dependence In Rats
(news- 2009)
2-AG - see 2-ARACHIDONOYLGLYCEROL
AGING /USE BY SENIORS

The Peripheral Cannabinoid Receptor CB2 and CD40 Are Novel Biological Markers That Predict Outcome in Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma of Elderly Patients. (abst - 2004)
Pass the Doobie, pops (news - 2005)
Cannabinoid receptor stimulation is anti-inflammatory and improves memory in old rats (full - 2007)
Inflammation and aging: can endocannabinoids help? (full - 2008)
Cannabinoid receptor stimulation is anti-inflammatory and improves memory in old rats (full - 2008)
Aging and chronic pain using medical marijuana (article - 2008)
Cannabis and Alzheimer’s disease (article - 2008)
Cannabis and movement disorders (article - 2008)
Cannabinoids Attenuate the Effects of Aging Upon Neuroinflammation and Neurogenesis. (abst - 2008)
CN BC: Expert Testifies Cannabis Helps Slow Aging (news - 2008)
Could Marijuana Substance Help Prevent Or Delay Memory Impairment In The Aging Brain? (news - 2008)
Marijuana may be good for the aging brain (news - 2008)
Older Adults’ Pot Use Up (news - 2010)
Marijuana Use By Seniors Goes Up As Boomers Age (news - 2010)
Pot Breaks the Age Barrier (news - 2010)
AIDS – see HIV

AJULEMIC ACID/ IP-751 - a side-chain synthetic analog of Δ8-THC-11-oic acid

Marijuana-Derived Compound Targets Pain, Inflammation (news - 2002)
Ajulemic Acid (IP-751): Synthesis, Proof of Principle, Toxicity Studies, and Clinical Trials (full - 2004)

Ajulemic acid: A novel cannabinoid produces analgesia without a “high”
(abst - 2004)
Ajulemic acid (IP-751): Synthesis, proof of principle, toxicity studies, and clinical trials (abst - 2005)
Marijuana-Derived Drug Suppresses Bladder Overactivity And Irritation In Animal Models (news - 2005)

Cannabimimetic Properties of Ajulemic Acid (full - 2006)
Marijuana-Derived Drug Suppresses Bladder Pain In Animal Models
(news - 2006)
Cannabimimetic Properties of Ajulemic Acid (full - 2007)
In humans, ajulemic acid has a more favorable side-effect profile than THC for the treatment of chronic neuropathic pain (full - 2007)
Letter: Preclinical assessment of abuse liability of ajulemic acid (letter - 2007)
Suppression of fibroblast metalloproteinases by ajulemic acid, a nonpsychoactive cannabinoid acid. (abst - 2007)
Effects of IP-751, ajulemic acid, on bladder overactivity induced by bladder irritation in rats. (abst - 2007)
Ajulemic acid, a nonpsychoactive cannabinoid acid, suppresses osteoclastogenesis in mononuclear precursor cells and induces apoptosis in mature osteoclast-like cells. (abst - 2008)
Suppression of human macrophage interleukin-6 by a nonpsychoactive cannabinoid acid. (abst - 2008)
Cannabinoids, Endocannabinoids, and Related Analogs in Inflammation
(full - 2009)
Ajulemic acid, a synthetic cannabinoid, increases formation of the endogenous proresolving and anti-inflammatory eicosanoid, lipoxin A4 (full - 2009)
ALCOHOLISM

Cannabis substitution: An Adjunctive Therapeutic Tool in the Treatment of Alcoholism (full - 1969)

Association between cannabinoid receptor gene (CNR1) and childhood attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder in Spanish male alcoholic patients (full - 2003)
Endocannabinoid signaling via cannabinoid receptor 1 is involved in ethanol preference and its age-dependent decline in mice (full - 2003)
Cannabis as a Substitute for Alcohol (full - 2003)
Comparison of Cannabidiol, Antioxidants, and Diuretics in Reversing Binge Ethanol-Induced Neurotoxicity (full - 2005)
Role of cannabinoid receptors in alcohol abuse (news - 2005)
Effects of Alcohol and Combined Marijuana and Alcohol Use During Adolescence on Hippocampal Volume and Asymmetry (full - 2006)
The endocannabinoid signaling system: a potential target for next-generation therapeutics for alcoholism (full - 2007)
Report: Marijuana Less Harmful than Alcohol or Tobacco (news - 2008)
Cannabis reverses brain damage from alcohol (news - 2008)
Cannabis as a substitute for alcohol and other drugs. (full - 2009)

Daily marijuana users with past alcohol problems increase alcohol consumption during marijuana abstinence. (abst - 2009)
White Matter Integrity in Adolescents with Histories of Marijuana Use and Binge Drinking. (abst - 2009)
Pot Might Blunt Damage of Binge Drinking (news - 2009)
Maternal Marijuana use not Associated with Psychotic Symptoms , but Alcohol is
(news - 2009)
Cannabis as a substitute for heavy alcohol usage? (news - 2009)
Marijuana To Control Alcohol Abuse (news - 2010)
Study shows direct cellular interaction between endocannabinoids and alcohol in the brain (news - 2010

ALLERGIES AND CANNABIS

Allergy to Marihuana (abst - 1971)
Allergic Skin Test Reactivity to Marijuana in the Southwest (full - 1983)
Allergenic properties of naturally occurring cannabinoids. (abst - 1983)
Marijuana smoking and fungal sensitization. (abst - 1983)
Cannabis (hemp) positive skin tests and respiratory symptoms (abst - 1999)
Allergic rhinoconjunctivitis caused by Cannabis sativa pollen (full- 2007)
Attenuation of Allergic Contact Dermatitis Through the Endocannabinoid System
(full - 2008)
Constituents Of Hashish And Marijuana May Help To Fight Inflammation And Allergies (news - 2007)
Marijuana Might Help Cure Allergic Contact Dermatitis (a.k.a. Poison Ivy)
(news - 2007)
Cannabis for allergic contact dermatitis (news - 2007)
Constituents Of Hashish And Marijuana May Help To Fight Inflammation And Allergies (news - 2007)
Sensitization and Allergy to Cannabis sativa Leaves in a Population of Tomato Sensitized Patients. (abst - 2008)
Hemp: A replacement for common food allergens? (news - 2009)

ALS / AMYOTROPHIC LATERAL SCLEROSIS

Marijuana in the management of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (abst - 2001)
Survey of cannabis use in patients with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis.
(abst - 2004)
Delayed disease progression in ALS mice by treatment with a cannabinoid.
(abst on forum - 2004)
Cannabis’ Potential Exciting Researchers in Treatment of ALS, Parkinson’s Disease -URB597 (news - 2004)

Cannabis Relieves Lou Gehrigs Symptoms - New Study (news - 2004)
Cannabinol delays symptom onset in SOD1 (G93A) transgenic mice without affecting survival. (abst - 2005)
Increasing cannabinoid levels by pharmacological and genetic manipulation delay disease progression in SOD1 mice (full - 2006)
The CB2 cannabinoid agonist AM-1241 prolongs survival in a transgenic mouse model of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis when initiated at symptom onset
(full - 2007)

The endocannabinoid system in targeting inflammatory neurodegenerative diseases (full - 2007)
Emerging Role of the CB2 Cannabinoid Receptor in Immune Regulation and Therapeutic Prospects (full - 2009)
Cannabinoids as Therapeutic Agents for Ablating Neuroinflammatory Disease (full - 2009)
The endocannabinoid system in amyotrophic lateral sclerosis. (abst - 2009)
Cannabis and Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis: Hypothetical and Practical Applications, and a Call for Clinical Trials. (abst - 2010)
Marijuana May Extend Life Expectancy Of Lou Gehrig’s Disease Patients, Study Says (news - 2010)

ALZHEIMER’S DISEASE

My Mother and Alzheimer’s (anecdotal - no date)
Marijuana reduces memory impairment (news - no date)

Effects of dronabinol on anorexia and disturbed behavior in patients with Alzheimer’s disease. (abst - 1997)
US Patent 6630507 - Cannabinoids as antioxidants and neuroprotectants
(full - 2003)
Safety and efficacy of Dronabinol in the treatment of agitation in patients with Alzheimer’s disease with anorexia (abst - 2003)
Open-label study of Dronabinol in the treatment of refractory agitation in Alzheimer’s disease : a pilot study (abst - 2003)
Neuroprotective effect of cannabidiol, a non-psychoactive component from Cannabis sativa, on β-amyloid-induced toxicity in PC12 cells (full - 2004)
Prevention of Alzheimer’s Disease Pathology by Cannabinoids: Neuroprotection Mediated by Blockade of Microglial Activation (full - 2005)
Stimulation of cannabinoid receptor 2 (CB2) suppresses microglial activation
(full - 2005)
Marijuana Ingredient May Stall Decline From Alzheimer’s (news - 2005)
Marijuana Slows Alzheimer’s Decline (news - 2005)
Marijuana May Block Alzheimer’s (news - 2005)
Marijuana Ingredient May Help Alzheimer’s (news - 2005)
Cannabinoids reduce the progression of Alzheimer’s disease in animals
(news - 2005)
Pass the Doobie, pops (news - 2005)
Cannabis therapy (news - 2005)
The Cannabinoid CB2 Receptor as a Target for Inflammation-Dependent Neurodegeneration (full - 2006)
Molecular Link between the Active Component of Marijuana and Alzheimer’s Disease Pathology (full - 2006)
Delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol for nighttime agitation in severe dementia
(full - 2006)
THC inhibits primary marker of Alzheimer’s disease (news - 2006)
Marijuana’s Active Ingredient May Slow Progression Of Alzheimer’s Disease
(news - 2006)
Alzheimer’s disease; taking the edge off with cannabinoids? (full - 2007)
Cannabidiol in vivo blunts β-amyloid induced neuroinflammation by suppressing IL-1β and iNOS expression (full - 2007)
Anti-inflammatory property of the cannabinoid agonist WIN-55212-2 in a rodent model of chronic brain inflammation (full - 2007)
The endocannabinoid system in targeting inflammatory neurodegenerative diseases (full - 2007)
Cannabinoid CB2 receptors in human brain inflammation (full - 2008)

Cannabinoid receptor stimulation is anti-inflammatory and improves memory in old rats (full - 2008)
Cannabinoids as Therapeutic Agents for Ablating Neuroinflammatory Disease (full - 2008)
Inflammation and aging: can endocannabinoids help? (full - 2008)
Cannabis and Alzheimer’s disease (article - 2008)

Marijuana may be good for the aging brain (news - 2008)
Alzheimer’s sufferers may benefit from cannabis compound (news - 2008)
Cannabis ‘could stop dementia in its tracks’ (news - 2008)
Could Marijuana Substance Help Prevent Or Delay Memory Impairment In The Aging Brain? (news - 2008)
Attacking Alzheimer’s with Red Wine and Marijuana (news - 2008)
Pot joins the fight against Alzheimer’s, memory loss (news - 2008)
Can cannabis offer hope for Alzheimer’s? (news - 2008)
Cannabis-derived medicines may help Alzheimer’s (news - 2008)
Emerging Role of the CB2 Cannabinoid Receptor in Immune Regulation and Therapeutic Prospects (full - 2009)
The activation of cannabinoid CB2 receptors stimulates in situ and in vitro beta-amyloid removal by human macrophages. (abst - 2009)
Marijuana could prevent Alzheimer’s (news - 2010)

AM-251 - a synthetic CB1 antagonist

Inhibition of Rat C6 Glioma Cell Proliferation by Endogenous and Synthetic Cannabinoids. Relative Involvement of Cannabinoid and Vanilloid Receptors
(full - 2001)
Influence of the CB1 receptor antagonist, AM 251, on the regional haemodynamic effects of WIN-55212-2 or HU 210 in conscious rats
(full - 2002)

CB1 cannabinoid receptor antagonism promotes remodeling and cannabinoid treatment prevents endothelial dysfunction and hypotension in rats with myocardial infarction (full - 2003)
Vasodilator actions of abnormal-cannabidiol in rat isolated small mesenteric artery (full - 2003)
Cannabinoid CB2 receptor activation reduces mouse myocardial ischemia-reperfusion injury: involvement of cytokine/chemokines and PMN (full - 2003)
Effects of cannabinoid receptor-2 activation on accelerated gastrointestinal transit in lipopolysaccharide-treated rats (full - 2004)
Up-Regulation of Cyclooxygenase-2 Expression Is Involved in R(_)-Methanandamide-Induced Apoptotic Death of Human Neuroglioma Cells
(full - 2004)
The cannabinoid 1 receptor antagonist, AM251, prolongs the survival of rats with severe acute pancreatitis. (full - 2005)
Cannabinoid CB1 receptor antagonists cause status epilepticus-like activity in the hippocampal neuronal culture model of acquired epilepsy (full - 2006)
AM 251 produces sustained reductions in food intake and body weight that are resistant to tolerance and conditioned taste aversion (full - 2006)
Antinociceptive effect of cannabinoid agonist WIN 55,212–2 in rats with a spinal cord injury (full - 2006)
Inhibition of Salivary Secretion by Activation of Cannabinoid Receptors
(full - 2006)
Cardiovascular effects of cannabinoids in conscious spontaneously hypertensive rats (full - 2007)
CANNABINOID-INDUCED HYPERPHAGIA: CORRELATION WITH INHIBITION OF PROOPIOMELANOCORTIN NEURONS? (full - 2007)
Cannabinoid action in the olfactory epithelium (full - 2007)
Cannabinoids Inhibit HIV-1 Gp120-Mediated Insults in Brain Microvascular Endothelial Cells (full - 2008)
Attenuation of Experimental Autoimmune Hepatitis by Exogenous and Endogenous Cannabinoids: Involvement of Regulatory T Cells (full - 2008)
Acute hypertension reveals depressor and vasodilator effects of cannabinoids in conscious rats (full - 2008)
Activating Parabrachial Cannabinoid CB1 Receptors Selectively Stimulates Feeding of Palatable Foods in Rats (full - 2008)
Feeding induced by cannabinoids is mediated independently of the melanocortin system. (full - 2008)
Loss of cannabinoid receptor 1 accelerates intestinal tumor growth (full - 2008)
Synthetic and plant-derived cannabinoid receptor antagonists show hypophagic properties in fasted and non-fasted mice (full - 2009)
Endocannabinoids in the rat basolateral amygdala enhance memory consolidation and enable glucocorticoid modulation of memory (full - 2009)
Effects of the cannabinoid CB1 receptor antagonist AM 251 on the reinstatement of nicotine-conditioned place preference by drug priming in rats. (abst - 2009)
Spinal and peripheral analgesic effects of the CB cannabinoid receptor agonist AM1241 in two models of bone cancer-induced pain. (abst - 2010)

Actually, no, it isn’t. Democratic politicians have often been just as eager to be seen as anti-drug as Republican politicians have. Bill Clinton, for example, expanded the “War Against Drugs” beyond what it had been under Bush and Reagan. And Barack Obama hasn’t done anything about decriminalization beyond talking about the possibility.

It’s something that should be kept in mind - and who knows, maybe it’s a situation that would improve if the stuff were legal - but I don’t think it justifies a ban.

It can be used medically, but we’re talking about recreational use here. Most people aren’t using the stuff as a medicine.

I’ve seen no evidence to support this.

just my two cents .

1. i can name more people who started on weed that tried harder stuff, which lead to harder stuff b/c one of the people in the group they smoked with wanted to try it so they went to cocaine and then acid. So i can think of more people who started with weed and got worse then started on weed and stopped

2. I have two friends who started smokeing weed in 9th grade they now have to smoke so much to get high now one of them is thinking about taking a break. Also its now almost impossible to have a conversation with either one of them… and they both forget stuff within hours of you telling them.

3. If it is made legal it will hurt the drug trade, however what if someone makes weed thats laced with something? this happens alot idk the terms but i know its laced with coc, acid, and herion often so would weed laced with stuff thats illeagal, become illeagal, and who would determine that? On this same note… this just my theroy maybe thats how weed is the gateway drug b/c people smoke stuff laced with other stuff w/o realizeing it?

4. Ok so lets let people do w/e drugs that occur natuarly i mean even beer/wine has a process to make it. Ok so lets say some idiot does herion and gets hooked… in my opinion should he void himself of any government aid if he looses said job, or developes a health condition? (this goes for weed 2 if people smoke so much that they space out they loose a job should they get unemployment?) And if you consider all that stuff people who smoke cigs, or drink 2 much should they loose any help? In my world yes.

Most of the people I know who have smoked weed never moved on to anything else. One person’s recollections don’t prove anything.

That’s not how marijuana works. Your friends smoke more because they can afford more and want to smoke more, not because a couple of puffs don’t get them high anymore. (I’m sure they can handle it better, but that’s a different thing.) It’s not heroin. You don’t need to continually smoke more and more to get the same high.

Are you sure that’s because of drugs? :wink:

If weed is legal and the other substance aren’t, that’s clearly illegal. And if we’re talking about companies marketing the stuff on a national scale, they’d wind up being put out of business.

The theory is wrong, and that’s not how it works, so no.

I don’t think that’s really relevant to the issue.

The number of people who have used marijuana dwarfs the number of people who have used heroin. Twosample cites, but similar numbers are easy to find. What’s not easy to find is credible cites that suggest heroin use is less than several orders of magnitude less than marijuana use. If you can name more people who tried heroin than smoked pot, you’re hanging out with a very peculiar crowd.

Also, see posts above: you’re confusing correlation with causation. More heroin users have drank milk than users who smoked pot. Milk is not a gateway drug.

You’re also confusing anecdote with data.

I have two friends who started playing video games in 9th grade they now have to play so much to fend off boredom (and spend so much on games and equipment) that one of them is taking a break. Also, they’re blithering idiots who can’t remember things I told them just hours ago.

But no one is claiming that there isn’t the potential for abuse or for ill-adjusted people to overdo video games or The Marijuana. Also, no one is suggesting that without videogames or The Reefer our friends would be Harvard MBAs. No, they’d be idiots and headcases all the same.

This is pretty much an urban legend, primarily because it’s a waste of good drugs. It’s an awful business plan–particularly if pot is legal–to add expensive, dangerous, and risky ingredients for the lulz.

Besides, what if someone makes a ham sandwich laced with something? If someone puts their coc on a sandwich before serving it to you, does that make you an addict? Why would the legality be any different?

Yes, any form of government assistance should require regular and thorough screening for any intoxicating substances, as well as full blood work to make sure that they aren’t overdoing the McDonalds or using numbers to represent words on a message board. Further, any dismissals or unfortunate circumstances should be investigated to be sure that there was no recreational substances involved. Lastly, social security and medicare should be completely scrapped because anyone who relies on it has clearly demonstrated poor judgment in the past. Besides, the purpose of most of those programs isn’t to aid the needy; it’s to enforce the morality of the populace and to ensure that only those deserving of help receive it.

I’m against the banning of flavored cigarettes because it’s stupid and only marginally in favor of the banning of prepackaged alcohol/caffeine combination because the combination of alcohol and caffeine can easily kill people. So do I get to play or not?

And I am concerned about the link - which does appear to be causative in genetically predisposed individuals - between marijuana and schizophrenia. I’m also concerned about the link between processed foods and obesity. These are public health concerns, but not reasons to ban either marijuana or Twinkies.

This is like the argument that until we solve world hunger we’re not allow to pit kicking puppies. Of course there are some people who don’t care if harder drugs are outlawed, or, in another “gotcha ya!” “hypocrite” hallmark, didn’t even know about the regulations in the first place, but there are at least two in this thread so far who do.

Make it three.

I didn’t think his argument applied to me because unlike marijuana, nicotine is highly addictive and the primary demographic target market for flavored cigarettes was young people.

That and because Barak Obama is not my savior.

This is the real problem with legalization of MJ. The OP said

I think only the whackjobs will argue that driving while stoned is actually safer than driving while smoking a Marlboro, at least for a big segment of the population.

And just by way of disclosure, personally I don’t see justification for making any drug illegal, at least not at the federal level. If it’s not in the constitution, they shouldn’t be doing it.

That was dealt with earlier in the thread. There is a test.

I’m sure it’s less safe than driving while smoking a cigarette and safer than driving drunk. And if it’s legal to drink but illegal to drive drunk, you can do the same for driving while high.

Two wrongs do not make a right. Just because other things are legal and dangerous to the individual and soceity it does not automatically follow that there is any reason to legalize a third substance of (alledgedly) lesser danger.

I don’t see ow weed can be any worse than many of the psychtopic drugs that are now legal. Because people can grow it on their own, it’s also very hard to regulate.

Marijuana does have its medical uses, and should be recognized as such. As recreational drugs go, it is definitely not the worse.

Then again, rationality is a virtue in public policy.

Agreed. I was justifying the current ban on pot, not stating my personal opnion.

I have been of the “legalize and tax it” group since the 1970s.

Let’s focus on what the OP said, rather than changing the argument to create a strawman. No reasonable person would suggest that drunk driving is safer than almost anything (except maybe driving while blind, asleep, etc).

But the OP’s quote was “After all marijuana poses less of a threat to others than tobacco”

Heh, you should post that to the Common Misconceptionsthread. You might be surprised. :frowning: