Can Democrats actually stop the nomination of Brett Kavanaugh?

The only issue I can see derailing Kavanaugh is his lying during his earlier confirmation hearings. He’d earlier said he’d had no involvement at all in the ‘enhanced interrogation’ techniques discussion during his time in the GWB administration. Turns out he was, even to the point of discussing how to position the decision before any potential supreme court cases.

That’s where I’d hammer him today. His poll numbers aren’t great - at least in comparison to normal nominees - so hammering his earlier lying to get through a confirmation would possibly lower them further.

The simple fact is, however, that whether it’s Kavanaugh or not, it’s going to be SOMEone Trump nominates. We just have to get used to that.

Which of course is why Trump nominated him. He’s also stated in other recently-revealed papers that he thinks the *Nixon *precedent was wrongly decided. Somewhere in between he thought Clinton needed a legal colonoscopy, though. Gee, I wonder why?

And then what happened and why?

You don’t have to answer if you don’t want to. But we all know why.

You’re kidding, right? You don’t see that as just more sheer personal spite, like most Americans did even at the time?

You could name anything Obama proposed, including just for one example* the Republicans’ own health care plan. You may have heard of it, although maybe not until after the over 50 times they tried to repeal it. Can you name anything, anything at all, that the party to whom you owe your fealty was willing to discuss with any Democratic President since Carter? Or any other major policy proposal they’ve made that wasn’t simply repealing Democratic progress?

The only person here that you’re fooling is yourself. There is only one party anymore whose primary interest, halting though it often is, is in the well-being of the country and our democratic republic, and not in tantrums. Sheesh, even George Will thinks so.

It’s a long shot, but Republicans are clearly suffering some backlash in the polls. Independents seem to be moving decidedly against the Republican party right now. The question is whether or not they’re serious showing up to vote against the GOP in the mid-term elections. If the Democrats can actually come up with a coherent messaging strategy that can scare moderate GOP senators, they have a chance. Admittedly not a good one, but a shot nonetheless. I would at least try to drag the dang confirmation process out and demand the release of the 100,000 pages or so of docs the White House refuses to turn over.

People who think McConnell would have let Gorsch get filibustered are being delusional. McConnell was the guy who refused to even allow Garland to get a hearing and kept the spot open against all precedent for purely partisan reasons. McConnell was the guy who blew up the filibuster in the first place with his “Make Obama a one term president” Job #1 Priority list of pure obstructionism. And you think he would have said “Gee, Reid didn’t do away with the filibuster on lower court appointees so I guess we’re stuck”? Of course not. That’s ridiculous. He would have still abolished the filibuster in record time because McConnell doesn’t give a shit for tradition or precedent, he cares about Republicans winning.

Yes, and they’ll all be pretty much interchangeable, pre-vetted by the Heritage Foundation, so we know how they’d really rule despite their required claims to impartiality.

But there are enough GOP Senators who have said the Court only needs eight members that they can be held to their word, right? Except McCain - he found a way to weasel out.

would be interesting if Mrs. McCain takes the AZ seat and votes no as a protest vote against Trump. It won’t matter unless another GOP member joins her in voting no. And a few red state Dems probably vote no anyway.

Let’s say the only move is to demand the 100,000 pages, and not participate until they are delivered.

What are the outcomes of that gesture in congress?

The hearing takes half as long?

It wouldn’t help - just more time for the tantrums.

Regards,
Shodan

I meant to say a few red state Dems could vote yes if they are running this year .

Just throwing this out there. Did I understand the news this morning?

Senators received 42,000 pages of documents on Kavanaugh yesterday evening, and Republicans claim they have reviewed ALL of them in time for this morning’s hearing?

Harry Reid killed the filibuster (ETA: because he’s a partisan).

Sure, but it was definitely participating in the political process, agreed?

Welfare reform under Clinton.

The best Senate Democrats can do now is document all the reasons Kavanaugh should not be on the Supreme Court. That will make it easier for the House Democrats when they draw up the impeachment resolution.

I’ve heard some really out-there theories on what the Dems will / ought to do if they take control of the House. This is among them.

Did anything relevant happen before that? Hint: Yes it did.

If you’re not going to be serious, there’s no point in continuing.

I made this suggestion earlier:

So far you’ve declined to do so, leaving me to guess at your meaning.

You just gave an excellent example yourself. :rolleyes:

If you’d like to quit being vague, that would probably help the discussion. Do you mean that impeaching Bill Clinton was, in your eyes, the Republicans deciding to NOT participate in the political process, because I see it as the opposite. Are you, perhaps, using some non-standard definition for words like “participate” or “political process”?

If it’s already a done deal then why do democrats participate at all? Civility?

What is the procedure for Rs when the Ds assert their right to the docs and time to read them, in order to strongarm the process past the Ds?

*You already agreed *it was just an act of personal spite. :rolleyes:

It’s okay to say you were wrong, really it is.