Can Democrats actually stop the nomination of Brett Kavanaugh?

No, this is “messageboard”. I agree with the interpretation that it, too, should be free from govt interference, but that does require interpretation. There is no mention of messageboards in the constitution, not a single one.

In fact, by a plain reading of the 1st, it is only congress who is forbidden from acting against speech, there is not a mention of the executive branch. It is only further interpretation that means that speech may not be restricted by executive order. In fact, we’ve interpreted it to the point where nearly any entity that receives any sort of taxpayer money can be held to that standard to the point where colleges get sued if they won’t rent a white supremacist a lecture hall.

Is any of that in the plain text?

No, that’s not it, maybe your confusion comes from jumping to unsupported conclusions? Maybe it comes from incomplete and inaccurate readings of your debate opponent’s posts? You missed or ignored the part where I said “and it were upheld by the supreme court which he appointed and was confirmed by the same congress,”

Now, I’ve read the constitution, but I must admit that I have not encountered the clause that magically prevents congress from passing unconstitutional laws. Could you cite that, please?

I’ve read it. Still not seeing what physically prevents congress from passing unconstitutional laws.

By precedent, we have judicial review, but even that requires an interpretation to even be valid, there is no “plain text” reading of the constitution that gives the court these powers.

Assuming that you agree with judicial review at all, then you agree that the supreme court is the only thing that can prevent congress from passing unconstitutional laws (and if you don’t agree, then you argue that there is nothing to prevent congress from passing unconstitutional laws). And that is my entire point. It is the supreme court who would be tasked with finding the law elevating the president’s powers to be unconstitutional, the supreme court that is currently being added to by judicial activists with far more loyalty to their party and ideology than to that 200 year old piece of parchment.

You and I would agree with any laws extending the president’s power in that way to be unconstitutional, just as you and I would agree that laws limiting the powers of free speech on an internet messageboard would be, but there may be others who disagree with both of us, and those others could well be appointed to the supreme court.

Now, a law that says “Trump is King!” and all that entails is egregious and unlikely, and is extended here only as an extreme hypothetical that we could both easily agree is unconstitutional. What would be more likely would be laws or executive orders passed or signed in response to some crisis, that extends the executive’s powers in ways that breach the interpretation of the constitution that you and I would both agree to be against. But, just because you and I both would agree that elections should still take place and elected congresspersons should be seated and presidents sworn in, if congressional or executive action prevented that, what would be the remedy? If sedition laws were enacted making it a crime to criticize the president, where would we turn? Those with standing would sue, and the case would end up in front of the supreme court.

If the supreme court upholds the law or order, does that not mean that it is, by your very own definition, constitutional?

The only thing unproductive is when someone makes assumptions as to knowledge and motivations in order to divert the discussion.

Done. Unless you can quote me the part that actually prevents congress from passing unconstitutional laws, I will take any other comments you make as to my ignorance on this matter as just further attempts to divert from productive discussion.

Now as to some questions that you dodged by commenting on your assumptions as to my knowledge and intellect rather than the discussion at hand: You say you are against the courts finding for fetal personhood, but you are for the legislature passing laws outlawing abortion, which I would assume that you would like to see upheld by the courts. What compelling interest could the government have to regulate a woman’s medical decisions if it is not for recognizing the fetus as having rights that overrule the rights of the mother? (And really, in that case, with fetal personhood upheld by a right wing activist SCOTUS, abortion isn’t just murder, it’s capital murder. Premeditated and conspiratorial. If fetuses are people, then the doctor and women who participate in the process should be eligible for the death penalty. Miscarriages should be treated as negligent homicide at the least, investigated and if there is anything at all that the mother did that reduced her chances of carrying the child to term, should be prosecuted, same as if an infant dies of neglect under one’s care.)

You also dodge the question on Heller et al. What is the Heller case (and the others like it), but Republicans disagreeing with the laws passed by their duly elected representatives, and going to the unelected judiciary to overturn those laws?

So, you propose a dilemma repeatedly. Do we choose the judge who rules based on the plain reading of the text, or do we choose judges based on their desire to interpret the text in a way that produces the best outcomes?

Well, that’s an entirely false dilemma, as everyone will be ruling based on what they think produces the best outcomes, even if that outcome is that the process was followed. (It’s also a false dilemma because it makes the spurious claim that your side will only nominate judges that will strictly interpret the Constitution according to the plain text, while the other side will nominate judges that ignore the Constitution to get the results they want.)

What I find to be dishonest in some of these judges, however, is their claims that they are only following the plain text, while interpreting that text to get the outcomes that they desire.

When there is a 5-4 split, do you really think that the 4 dissenters are confused because they just haven’t read the Constitution? Is that true even when the Republicans are in the dissent?

There is quite a bit of slack in the interpretation of the Constitution, quite an array of what is permissible, which is the entire reason why we have people tasked with interpreting it. I would agree that there are limits to that, but within the limits, there is lots of room for interpretation. I would rather have a judge that will admit that they interpret the Constitution within those limits for the purposes of having better outcomes, and know where they are coming from when they decide what outcomes they consider to be better, rather than a judge that justifies making decisions that have poor outcomes by falsely claiming to have followed the only interpretation the text allows.

Doh!

I agree with this interpretation of the first amendment.

“reading the text and knowing what it mean[s]” is the definition of interpreting something.

They, and we, would have been able to examine the claims more thoroughly if Senator Feinstein had not chosen to keep them secret until the last minute. Fuck her and her political games. She doesn’t deserve to see her purpose (delaying the vote) accomplished because she’s the one that chose to delay bringing this information to light.

It wasn’t “they” that didn’t want us to know, it was Feinstein.

So, because one senator fucked up, we are required to ignore the victim and seat someone who could be a sexual predator?

Does this extend to republicans as well? If a republican does anything wrong, does that mean that the democrats get their way?

If that were true, then they would have voted to know. But they voted to not know, so your comment is simply wrong here.

What victim? We don’t even know who she is, or if she’s real. She’s choosing to remain anonymous. How are we “ignoring” someone who wants to remain a secret?

In the Senate, you get your way when you have the votes. Today, the Democrats do not appear to have the votes and so will not get their way.

They didn’t “vote to not know”. They voted to schedule a vote.

Hurr? Was talking about Leahey’s complaint. See, its right there in my post, Leahey. And this all happened before Ms Feinstein’s letter. You can google “Leahey Kavanaugh”, there’s oodles to choose from. Boiled down, Leahey bitched and said we should look at this, the Republicans said fuck you, we ain’t gonna, and you can’t make us!

Hope that clears things up for you. Don’t be afraid to ask, we’re here to help.

I would agree that the anonymous allegation on its own should not be what is considered disqualifying, but we don’t know that it is on its own, now do we? We would only know that if we took the time to investigate the matter.

It could very well be that the person asked to not have their story told unless it was deemed absolutely necessary to prevent him from attaining a position of extraordinary power. You can do your hem and haw as to why someone would not want to come forward with allegations of sexual abuse, just as defenders of predators always do when their past is uncovered, but you make the assumption a priori that there is nothing to be looked at, before actually looking.

Ah, so might makes right, and ethics mean nothing. At least we’ve cleared that up.

The voted to schedule a vote before they would be able to find out. That means that they want to vote with incomplete knowledge, which implies that they are concerned about what the knowledge would be, and that, if that knowledge were known, then they would not be able to justify their support.

Please tell me what the rush is to confirm this person. Your party felt that it was perfectly acceptable to have a vacancy through an entire court season in order to be able to put a right wing ideologue onto the court, you can’t stomach missing a seat for a few weeks to make sure that we are not giving this position to a sexual predator?

Even if the Republicans lose the senate this fall, they have till January to confirm trump’s pick, that’s about 4 months. I can see rushing before the new congress is sworn in in order to prevent the people of the country from getting a say in the process, but they don’t need to rush this much. This much rushing tells me that there is more that is ready to come out, that they need to get out ahead of, and get him confirmed quickly. Either that, or they know that they will be needing him on the court to defend legislation or executive orders that they will be passing that would not pass muster in a less ideological court, and they want to get that stuff started before the consequences of the election set in as well.

Personally, I find the perjury to be disqualifying, but congressional Republicans have no problem with that. I suppose that being a sexual predator is something that congressional Republicans can find a way to accept as well, so long as they are confirming someone who is guaranteed to uphold abortion laws, and ban gun laws.

I named a bunch of reasons. And based on the GOP’s response to the Merrick Garland nomination, any reason, or for that matter no reason at all, suffices.

When I dance alone, and the sun’s bleeding down.

The GOP doesn’t have the votes yet either. (The only change in the tally of committed votes in the past two weeks is due to Jon Kyl being sworn in.) Not saying I’ll be the least bit surprised if Kavanaugh gets confirmed, but the fat lady ain’t sung yet.

Same difference. If everybody knows X=>Y, and they vote for X, then to argue that they didn’t vote for Y is pedantic hairsplitting.

They decided to have the vote before they would have the opportunity to know, in all likelihood. So they voted for not knowing.

This. We agree with the interpretation, but it IS an interpretation. Law isn’t mathematics, and there isn’t a mathematical or logical proof that, given that the Constitution says what it says, and a message board operates like it does, that our words on this message board constitute ‘press’ in the meaning of the Constitution.

Christine Blasey Ford, a professor at Palo Alto University, has come forward as the woman making allegations against Kavanaugh.

While there is no record of her mentioning it at the time she did bring it up during couple’s counseling in 2012, long before Kavanaugh was being considered for this job. Portions of the therapist’s notes from 6 years ago corroborating her story were made available to the newspaper.

Cue the Trumpian attack machine on her character in 3…2…1…

She’s a college professor from California! And female! Essentially, Angela Davis!

He was drunk, and a teenager, and boys will be boys, besides what was she doing at a party like that if she didn’t want to be sexually assaulted?

Have we mentioned all the women that have affirmed that they were not raped by him? There’s at least 65!

And your side will vouch for her character despite knowing nothing about her.

Good to know that there are “sides” when it comes to sexual assault.

I’m gonna go ahead and pick the side that’s against it.

Well, I know my “side” doesn’t believe all women who accuse powerful men are whores until proven otherwise.

For me personally, I typically assume people, be they male or female, are decent and honest until I am given reason to think otherwise. Whether or not this should prevent Kavanaugh from being seated on the Court isn’t clear to me at this point. What IS clear is that there needs to be a delay on the vote until this can be investigated further.

And then there are those who will step right up and tell you that she says she doesn’t remember the place and the date, which ain’t good for her “case”. Good for her, truth above all. We got principles, you wanna borrow some?

What does her character matter? Unless you think she broke into her couples therapist’s office and altered the notes after Kavanaugh was nominated?

IIRC, being of bad character doesn’t give others the right to sexually assault you.

“Those are my principles, and if you don’t like them… well, I have others.” - Groucho

I think if she goes to Congress and tells the story in person he probably withdraws his name. But then again these days the old rules don’t mean much