Can electric pumkin lights cause fires?

Bought 2 lights for $1.60 each, battery included. Run on little watch batteries, flicker like other artificial candles.

We live in a high fire danger zone and I want to be cautious. Is there any way these little bulbs can cause a fire? Or are they safe in a jack-o-lantern?

They run on watch batteries?

There’s probably not enough energy in a watch battery to start a fire even if you actually wanted to, so no, they are perfectly safe.


My mother bakes pumpkins. They take at least 30-45 minutes in a 350º oven, using about a 3600-4000 heating element. And after that, the pumpkin is just baked for eating – not dried up or anything. To actually dry it out and start the pumpkin on fire would take quite a bit longer, I’d think. Say 2-3 hours. That means about 8,000 to 12,000 kilowatt-hours of energy.

A standard D-cell flashlight battery has about 1/2 of 1% of a kilowatt-hour. A watch battery would be much, much less. I doubt that there would even be enough energy to even begin to get the pumpkin warm, much less start it on fire. This is very safe.