Can genetic engineering produce a kosher pig?

The problem with a standard pig is not the hooves – indeed, it has the hooves of a kosher animal. The problem with a pig is that it’s not a ruminant.

Zev Steinhardt

Granted. Nonetheless, one would presume then that God would not say that we can eat animals X, Y and Z. Since Jewish tradition tells us that God said there were animals we could eat, He obviously did not consider non-kosher evolutionary ancestors to be a problem.

Zev Steinhardt

Then you haven’t read enough about Judaism. Rules are in place, they do follow consistent logic, and applying them to new situations is done all the time. See, for example, Brave New Judaism and Kosher Pork and Treif Tomatoes.

Or maybe the ultimate ancestor was kosher? We don’t know. We can deal with only the information we have.

No, the ultimate ancestor was some unicellular, or maybe even acellular, life form; it could have had neither hooves nor any means of chewing cud.

You know, it would be much, much easier to simply engineer a cow that tastes like pork.

Yeah. Embarrassingly, I got it exactly backwards, and provided an example of an extra un-kosher pig. :smack:

Wouldn’ta been a quadruped, though, so cud and hooves wouldn’t apply… :smiley:

Leviticus, feat. Yahweh as the Pork Nazi. No bacon for you !

Alessan:

According to the Talmud, there is a kosher fish that tastes exactly like pork. That passage claims that there is some kosher source of every flavor that exists in non-kosher creatures.

A “kosher” pig is still a pig. Yes?

The Talmud has been known to engage in wishful thinking.

Define “pig”.

Oh, so honey is not kosher. What about mother’s milk? Could’ve fooled me. A propos another post, there are fish, true fish, whose scales are vestigial and can be seen only under magnification. I think mackeral is one and there is some question whether it is kosher.

Honey is kosher. The Talmud explains it by saying that bees don’t produce honey, they just store it in their bodies.

Alessan:

Or in this case, fishful thinking.

If bees don’t produce honey, where does the Talmud think it comes from?

Flowers. The bee takes the honey from the flower and stores it in its stomach.

Flowers? Technically, isn’t honey processed pollen?

Flowers, presumably. It can be considered concentrated nectar.