Can I Convert to Amish-ness?

In college, we read a book on the Amish; they talked about how little interest they had in people converting. For some reason, an otherwise intelligent classmate invited a guy to class to talk about the Amish.

He came in looking the part, sort of: long beard, somber expression, Germanic features, arm tattoos (sound of record-scratch).

Arm tattoos?

Yeah, see, this guy was an ex-biker. Also wanted to be a pool shark. And an ecoterrorist. He saw a lot of value in the Amish lifestyle, he said, and he thought it might be his life’s work to become Amish and teach them to be more open-minded.

As I understand it, the Amish consider open-mindedness to be a moral failing. Sorry, dude.

Turned out he’d agreed to come to class because he had a major crush on my classmate. Poor guy, with his big old crush on a lesbian. She thought it was kinda cute.

And that’s my story about converting to the Amish.

Daniel

Yes, you can convert, but you’ll have to give up a lot of things you probably like about modern life.

I was once involved as a lawyer in a custody dispute involving a man who left the Amish faith, and his wife, who wanted to hang onto their kids (two or three, I think) and raise them Amish, as she remained. Ugly situation; the wife eventually got sole custody. What I remember most, though, was that the Amish I met loved orange juice. Just loved it.

I may be mis-remebereing, but i once read that the Amish 9due to their lak of immunization) represented one of the last resevoirs of the polio virus in the USA. Do you know if this is true?

Aren’t diseases associated with inbreeding a major problem in Amish communities? You’d think they’d welcome converts, who’d bring some healthy new strains to the gene pool.

According to the Washington Post, there was an outbreak about a year ago in Minnesota: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/10/13/AR2005101301733.html

It mentions that the Amish frequently don’t get vaccinated, but that contradicts the website link. Not sure what to think about that. It may be small groups who refuse vaccination.

:smiley: It’s funny how things like that fade into unconsciousness when you participate regularly. It honestly never occurred to me how uncomfortable that ceremony must feel to an outsider … And I’ve washed some pretty nasty-looking feet in my day, I have to say.

From the book Amish Society by John A. Hostetler;

So, my statement was not bullshit. Some sects have different rules and belief systems (the book I mentioned lists dozens of them and their differences) but the Old Order Amish are seperatists who prefer to do as little interraction with “the world” as possible.

AFAIK most Amish accept the medical problems caused by “inbreeding” as “God’s will”.

From Lissa’s Amish book:

So they allow this but they won’t allow the girls to work as waitresses?

Aw, jeeze . . smacks forehead

Hire! He may* hire *out to relatives.

Not true. The Amish believe that they have a moral obligation to remain healthy and take care of the bodies God gave them. Knowingly creating a sick child doesn’t mesh well with that, and they are perfectly aware of the contradiction. The challenge is to come up with a solution that doesn’t have unacceptable drawbacks. Making changes to their religion to make it more inviting to outsiders simply for the fresh genes would have too many unacceptable drawbacks from their point of view. On the other hand, perhaps an acceptable way could be found for young people from one Amish community to meet their peers in another, and encourage marriages between people less likely to share the bad genes.

While they are working this out, the Amish community in Lancaster County is cooperating with the Clinic for Special Children to find ways to detect and treat the rare metabolic disorders that are more common among the Amish in the area.