Can I have Picture-in-Picture with Satellite TV?

It is useful if you are a big sports fan. Personally I only like watching Chicago teams play and they rarely conflict such that two ‘must-see’ games are playing simultaneously. However, my roommate is from Pittsburgh and he wanted to watch a different game than I did (the Cubs run up to the playoffs). This was the only time I have ever used my PiP seriously but it was pretty cool (in my case I have a 16:9 aspect ratio TV so it cut the picture in half and put two screens up of equal size…a press of the button shifted audio).

Other than that I agree with you and find it mostly useless. On very rare occasions I’ve used it to tune another staion while commercials were playing so I could swicth back when the show I was interested in was starting but mostly ti is not worth the effort.

Well, lately the Patriots have been playing at the same time as the NASCAR races I enjoy watching. Mostly, I watch NASCAR to see the crashes, so I’d be perfectly happy to have that in the small PIP window while i watch the football game…

Barry

I like to play video games with sports or other things in PiP. Something interesting comes on, I rewind the TV, switch screens, and watch it.

Alternatively, I load up an Atari game and play it in the PiP screen just to confuse people.

Does anyone remember the monster TV setup Jim Ignatowski bought from his hard-earned cabbie bux on Taxi? Each of the multiple TVs lining the wall was tuned to a different program, like the ultimate PIPIPIP. And he said, “No matter what happens, anywhere in the world, you can always change the channel.”

I use PIP all the time to play a video game on the main screen and listen to the news fom the PIP box. Now if only some enterprising manufacturer would just make “audio-only” PIP, or let me move the box all the way offscreen, I’d be all set.

I actually own an exception to this rule. I have a high definition wide screen television built by RCA that has an RCA satellite receiver inside the set. I don’t have a separate box. (Of course, the basement and bedroom televisions are not top-of-the-line so I had to buy satellite receiver boxes for them.)

Prior to getting satellite I had cable. The only time I used PIP was when watching the Packers play. During commercials I’d switch to some other program until the commercial was over and play resumed. PIP was helpful to not miss any of the action.

I have to confess that I don’t miss it much.