Can I keep my skull?

As I said, it’s a social determination, and in fact, there isn’t a huge amount of consistency between various court decision for various purposes.

Your wishes, even if they were merely mentioned in passing during conversations, would be considered, of course, but there’s no assurance that even the most carefully framed clause in a will will be honored. That’s explicit in federal, state and common laws and precedents: A will is only a guide. (As a practical matter, it does serve to eliminate some ‘he said, she said’ among your friends and family, and often non-will statements aren’t actually weighed unless the matter goes to court.)

As a general rule, your body belongs to your estate, managed by your executor However, it does not belong to your executor, and cannot be used for his own profit or benefit (unless your executor is also an heir, which is quite common for ordinary estates). However, this general rule is full of holes: for just about every situation where anyone might have an actual interest in the body, there’s case law that covers the situation. "The estate’ owns it as a matter of default, but it doesn’t have a “right” to it [I’m not a lawyer, but I think it’s more proper to say that estates have claims or interests, not rights, anyway)

Take organ donations: no matter how loudly and frequently you declare your wish to be an organ donor; not matter how many stickers you have on your license or how explicitly your wishes are tatooed on your chest, if a close relative (parent, child, spouse, or sometimes sibling) objects, your wishes will be trumped, and no one has any recourse (i.e. AFAIK, no one has ever successfully sued a relative for stopping an organ donation out of personal squeamishness]. As a practical matter, hospitals usually won’t even consder touching a possible controversy.

You can certainly leave your skull to a relative. Just have your remains cremated. Oh, you mean your intact skull? Well, state your intent clearly in your will, but be aware that the diligence of the executor and the superstitions or ‘delicacy’ of a judge will probably decide the matter regardless.

**Let me suggest this: Don’t specify your intention (“Donate my head to Alfredo Garcia!”. Instead specify your desired post-mortem preparation in scientific terms and then specify the disposition of the mineral remains. Make a clear parallel to the practice of cremation (where the ashes are often given to relatives or friends) This will make it seem much more reasonable to the courts.

Russell used the larva of Demestid beetles to clean the flesh off the bones. It’s a standard scientific technique, and most universities or museums will have access to them for research purposes. You might want to cite a more recent paper than Russell (1947), which I just happened to have on file because it’s the oldest cite for this method. The “ossuary” can be any cheap box: historically, ossuaries have often been cheap wood or mortar, but the word sounds ‘special’.

Note that these terms require you to make the arrangements in advance, so the department (or some penuious postdoc like Dr. Desperate) will be willing to handle it (a bequest of a couple of thousand might not be a bad idea). You’d need to do this regardless. It’s not like a Funeral Director will give your sis a raw head, nor can he ship it off to Skullz’R’Us for a quick strip and wax. If YOU don’t make the preparations, they’ll just shrug in confusion, and give you “the usual”.

Your wishes might be a little more legally tight, if you bequeathed your body to the Anthropology Department of Local University “for use in training or study of the current variants in the Demestid method of Russell”, but if Dr. Desperate dies before you (or marries wealthily and retires, or makes a major discovery and gets endowed for the Skull Chair at Evil Conquerors University) and Local University didn’t actually need a training subject, no one might bother to deal with your body. Stuff like that happens at universities. Don’t ask.

Of course this isn’t legal, medical or bioethical advice. It’s just an idea.

In point of fact, they don’t.

State-, Church-, or privately sponsored desecration of corpses for “official” reasons has a long, checkered history. I can’t count the number of historical personages who were buried (or relocated) in sites that they’d never have agreed to when alive. Tourism or misguided left-handed post-mortem honors trump the beliefs of the deceased every time.

It’s more a matter of emotion than anything else. The chances of your heirs successfully suing because your body was prepared and buried in some manner that goes against your religious bliefs depend solely on local sentiment, not your civil rights. In fact, certain civil laws like “wrongful death” were created largely because the injured party (the deceased) had no right to sue, and the harm to the survivors wasn’t always clear or substantial enough for a big settlement.

Let’s say you’d like to be mummified like an Egyptian pharoah and launched into the afterlife in an aboveground pyramid: no matter how profound, sincere, and provable your religious basis might be, your chances of getting your brain pulled out your nose with hooks, your internal organs packed in urns, and your abdomen meticulously stuffed with layered incenses and resins… is slim. We just don’t do things that way in Kansas, and if that costs you your shot at the Afterlife, too bad.

I know a fair number of people who don’t want concrete burial liners, and want to return to the soil instead. In many areas this isn’t allowed, even though there is (according to many people) substantial Biblical support for this practice.

Sure, as long as you’re using it.

I own 2 real human skulls. The obvious one is the one I use every day to keep the squishy brain bits from harm, the other one sits on my bookcase. I got it as a Christmas present years ago from a pal, who got it from her dad, who got it from a Dentist friend.

I’ve used it for halloween decorations, punch-bowl garnish, stage dressing and nowadays, as a finial for my SCA viking banner-pole.

The most amusing aspect is telling people that it’s real. They never believe me.

what’s up with the bold coding?

hmmm… did someone leave a bold tag open? FWIW, this post previews as non-bold.

Why don’t you just cut out your skull yourself right before you die?

NO!

You certainly may NOT!

You hand that skull over right this minute, Young Man! :wink: :smiley:

“I mean, how many people do you know who die with a perfect set of choppers in their puss?” :smiley:
Your cinematic taste is par excellence, Ranchoth.

In my version of the Blade Runner Future, you can go down to the Goth Kiosk in the mall, stick your head in the MRI scanner, and for a few Kwatloos they’ll print out your very own skull using the stereolith tank.

[funny story, somewhat related to the topic at hand]

A couple of years ago a human skull was found in Lake Springfield (in Springfield, Illinois). Needless to say, local police were rather alarmed. A thorough search of the rest of the lake, and the surrounding woods, failed to turn up any other human remains.

Baffled, the police began scouring their own and other agencies’ records, looking for a murder in which the victim had been decapitated. Nothing. Missing persons searches also proved fruitless. The police continued their investigation, as you don’t find a human skull in your city and then just let it go.

A few days later a very nervous and repentant teenage boy showed up at the local police department. He was worried that his actions had cost the local police considerable money and manpower in investigating this, and he wanted to put an end to it before he got in it any deeper.

What did the young lad have to do with the human skull? Well, apparently it had been a “gift” to him from his grandfather. The skull belonged to a Japanese soldier his grandpa had shot back in WWII. The boy stated to the police that he’d kept it on his dresser, but eventually he grew frightened of it and didn’t like having to go to bed with it staring at him. His grandfather was now dead and thus couldn’t take it back, and the rest of his family wanted nothing to do with it. In desperation, the kid threw the skull into the lake.

The police had a good laugh and chastised the boy for not disposing of the skull properly (one wonders how to properly dispose of a sixty-year-old skull). The Sangamon County prosecutor spoke of criminal charges, but nothing came of it. The skull wound up in a local museum until somebody could decide what to do with it.

A few months later, a contingent of Japanese dignitaries showed up in town. Amid many apologies and much embarassed hemming and hawing, the skull was returned to Japan to be rightfully buried in its native land. The boy involved in this received a telephone call, and the words “international incident” were bandied about, but it was all just good-natured ribbing.

So anyway, AFAIK the skull is back in Japan and the Japanese are searching for its righful owner, if they haven’t found him already.

All’s well that ends well.

[/funny story]

Sounds like a classsic urban myth

It isn’t. It’s very well-documented in the State Journal-Register. If you want to register you can look it up in the archives. That, and it only happened a year or two ago.

For the rest of the article I’d have to pay a registration fee. It would be the first time in my life I paid $2.95 for a SDMB post.

Thanks for the follow-up. It sounded like a myth. But you’ve shown that it wasn’t. Fun story. Thanks.

So, any laws being violated by owning a skull?

I can solemnly assure you that it constitues skullduggery.

[QUOTE=KPState-, Church-, or privately sponsored desecration of corpses for “official” reasons has a long, checkered history.[/QUOTE]
Just as a point of clarification, we Mormons don’t do any grave-robbing for proxy baptisms.

Cos the ghost of Red Indian Chief Big Starling or whoever will come and getcha :slight_smile:

That’s pretty much it. I worked at a museum in the early 90’s identifying stored human remains that might be Native American so they could be repatriated to the appropriate tribes. This particular museum had skeletal remains representing hundreds, if not thousands, of individuals. The detective work involved in determining which remains went to which tribes is a story in itself.

NAGPRA was written partly to address the differences in how white and Native American burials were usually treated in the past. For instance, it wasn’t unusual to read in archaeological notes how burials associated with a coffin were left undisturbed, explicitly because it was considered a Christian burial, while burials without a coffin were disinterred for study.

From what I understand, English and Anglo Saxon common law has for centuries allowed descendents to have final say how their ancestors’ remains were treated, and NAGPRA was passed partly to extend that consideration to Native Americans. This has been a hotly contested issue among some anthropologists.

I can’t bear the suspense any more. WHAT HAPPENED TO THE LEFT FOOT? :confused: