Can I make pulled pork in the oven?

My favorite TV chef is Alton Brown because he teaches the why’s and how’s of pulled pork. His entire episode is on Youtube:

Part 1

Part 2

He teaches you how to brine, season, cook (and the reason why you cook it to such a high temperature), and even how to build your own smoker using ceramic flower pots.

This guy smokes his in a smoker, but he shows you how it’s prepared and how to make the rub and finish it and make a good sauce. Just click on the appropriate how-to video. I tried it in a smoker and it came out extremely delicious.

I use a crock pot. Rub the pork with your spices of choice and then throw in 3/4 of a can of beer. Pull and add BBQ sauce. Yummy!

Big thread here on pulled pork in the oven. My vote is to do it like a roast, slowly, no crockpot, no Dutch oven, no additional moisture of any kind. The above thread goes into detail, and the results are also detailed by the OP of that thread.

x100.

I don’t like squishy white American bread, usually, but when it comes to barbecue, this is the only way to go.

I agree–crock pot versions don’t taste right to me. You get something good in a crockpot, but it’s not really pulled pork. You need a dryer heat for the texture and flavor, IMO.

Use a low oven, about 225 or so, rub the meat with a little liquid smoke (a little goes a LONG way) then put on a rub of 1/3 cup brown sugar, 1/4 cup kosher (coarse) salt, 1/3d (or less) cup paprika, 1/3d cup chili powder and a couple of tablespoons of black pepper. Mix 'em together, rub them onto the meat (don’t be gentle!) and plonk the thing on a roasting rack (so it won’t sit in it’s juices for hours). Then slow cook for hours and hours.

You want to use a shoulder or “butt” or picnic cut–don’t use a tenderloin-it’s too lean a cut of meat.

You’ll also notice (if you’re checking the temp, and you should be) that the temp will get to 150 F pretty quickly, then inch up to 160 F and then just sit there.

That’s called the “Plateau” and it’s normal. There’s something called collagen in the meat–it’s what holds the muscle fibers together. At about 155 F or so, it starts “sweating” out of the meat. The collagen “sweat” cools the meat. When the collagen is gone, the temp will start rising again normally and at about 195 F, the meat will be ready (when the collegen’s gone, nothing’s holding the meat together any more, so it’s pull-able.)

Take it out of the oven, let it sit for about 10 minutes, put it on a cutting board and go to town with a couple of forks to pull the meat apart. There’ll be a brown crusty stuff on the outside that’s absolutely wonderful but in an oven you might have to chop that exterior part up with a knife–the interior meat will still shred though

If you want, you can put bbq sauce on at this point or have bbq sauce available for people to put on top of their meat on the buns. (I prefer this method)

Everyone who said “Serve it on cheap white buns” is right. :slight_smile:

I did a step-by-step pictorial “How to do pulled pork on a bbq” thread elsewhere. The pics might give you an idea of what the pork should look like when shredded. :slight_smile: Hope this helps

Oh, wow. Somebody else who uses Aleppo pepper. Love that stuff. So much richer and deeper than plain red pepper flakes.

I am addicted to the stuff. I probably go through one of those 8oz Penzey’s bags per month.

This is the way we usually do it, too.

Just so you know, though, if you wrap the butt in foil & toss it in a small cooler with a towel below & above it, it will stay very hot for several hours. This is a great trick if you’re headed to a tailgate, or the lake, or if you just don’t want to cut your timing that close. Some people, Alton Brown included, also think the meat is even more tender that way.

Hey, another Big Green Egg doper. After 8 productive years, mine is looking pretty tired. I need to spruce it up for football season, I think.

/hijack

I need to keep an eye out for this now…

I’m going to HAVE to buy a bigger one. I love that thing so much… :smiley:

It’s been in the oven for two hours now. I’ve turned the temperature down a bit as my oven is running a bit hot. It smells divine!

If he got it in SF, I’d lay at least 3:2 odds that it was carnitas. Wonderful, wonderful, carnitas :drool:.

Either that, or he took a side trip to Oakland. I know a couple of pretty good BBQ shacks on the other side of the bay. Double D, for example, down by Peralta Park.

I never said it was bbq, so not sure where that has come from, tbh.

Well, it was delicious! If I’m being critical, it didn’t have enough liquid, so I’ll add more next time, but we had it in soft rolls with coleslaw and it was YUMMY! Enough to enjoy tomorrow as well, I’m thinking about putting it in tortillas with some salsa.

Our mistake. “Pulled pork” just means “Carolina BBQ” to a lot of us. :smiley:

Barbeque is a method of cooking, not a flavor.

“Pulled Pork” is almost always barbequed–dry heat, low temps, long, slow cooking.
If it’s in the crock-pot, it’s a moist-heating method (braising) and generally that’s not how it’s done in resturants.

Unless you are making carnitas the old-fashioned way, braised in lard :). Wonderful, wonderful lard :p.

Hie thee posthaste to the Middle East Bakery and Grocery. It’s in little plastic tubs on the wall near the register counter. I’ve been using it to make fabulous Turkish red lentil soup. :slight_smile: