Can i still coll[e]ct unemployment if I move out of the country?

We’re talking, at a minimum, about non-illegal methods of collecting unemployment. What you’re describing here (failure to report employment and wages) is unemployment fraud.

Gfactor
General Questions Moderator

Well he could call in and report earnings if his original state allows partial benefits and he is meeting those terms. The problem is he would have to move without updating his address which may violate the regulations in his state.

I agree, but that’s not what SmackFu was suggesting. And it’s not a big deal. I was just trying to redirect the discussion to legal means of obtaining unemployment compensation.

Gfactor
General Questions Moderator

I agree that is not what SmackFu was suggesting however I was offering a possible legal alternative. I do not know the regulations in the OP’s state but I find what the OP is asking to do unethical, but that is more the IMHO realm.

Yeah. You are right. And thanks, btw, for your input about the agreements. I’d found a case that mentioned an enabling statute, but had no luck finding an example of such an agreement (I didn’t try *that *hard).

Here is the scenario:

You are a certified English teacher to teach abroad and have done it in the past. You were then working odd jobs and construction in NY until being laid off. You then fill for UI and collect benefits. You travel and seek work outside of the U.S. through various teaching job interviews, online inquiries, and resume submissions. You travel to a few different countries while seeking employment for a teaching position all the while collecting UI. If the construction company had emailed or contacted you to return to work, you would have. After many attempts at interviewing with foreign country schools, you return back to NY still collecting UI. Apply for more jobs and still no luck. Take on a seasonal position that you worked at during college that employed you for 3 months. After the job was finished, collected benefits again. After months, you want to try teaching English again outside the country and set up interviews. You leave to go on these interviews while collecting UI. The unemployment office has recently sent a letter stating that they have been aware that a you are have certified for benefits while out of the country.

Would I be able to retain the benefits collected? On the grounds of I was looking for work in my field (teaching English over seas).

Any and all help in this matter would be appreciated.