Can I store a Novel on a 256mb Jump Drive?

I’m not the most hardware savvy guy in the world - and yet I am in need of some hardware advice.
I have been working on a novel on and off for the past 5 years… I have been simply storing it on my hard drive. My question is this: Can I store the Novel on my blank 256 mb jump drive? Or a CD perhaps? The novel is 150,000 words - I’m not sure of the actual space it takes up…If I can store it on the jump drive, can I simply plug that drive into any USB on any pc and fire it up in Word?

Thanks all.

Absolutely.
If you’re keeping it in MS Word or text format, you could probably get over a hundred 500 page novels on 256 MB.

You have to see how much space it takes on the hard drive. If it’s < 256mb, and I’ll bet it is, then yes.

If it’s actually bigger than that, you can use compression to likely make it fit, but that means you have to decompress it before working on it, and compress it again to put it back. Kind of pain in the butt.

Are you unsure of how to see how big it is? Assuming you are using Windows, use explorer to browse to the directory it is stored at, and then under VIEW choose DETAILS.

Most text documets use approxomately 2k per typed page, so your flash drive can hold a document 128,000 pages long.

So the answer is yes.

I’m pretty sure the answer is yes. It might depend on the format (Word, WordPerfect, plain text, etc ), but I’m almost positive you can at least save it in plaintext on a 256MG flash disk.

I actually compress all my writings with Winace, and upload it to my Yahoo Briefcase. It gives you 30 meg of free storage, and accessible anywhere I have internet access.

All the stuff I’ve ever written, and all my important docs end up being less than 3 meg when compressed, so I’m able to keep several levels of backups.

For reference, I have a 135 page, 95,000 word Word document on my computer and it takes up 2.38mb of space. If this is an accurate indicator, then I believe you could easily store your document on a 256mb drive.

You can easily fit a novel onto a 1.44 Meg floppy (even in word), so there’s no problem fitting it onto a flashdrive. An 80,000 word novel of mine (in MS Word) took only 800k (224K if zipped).

Ok Great!! I have it both in Word, and in Plaintext. I probably don’t need the double but I do it anyway. As my wife is my editor, she likes the text version better. Ok I’m glad I got the 256 for storage… I was only going to get the 64meg…

To see the size of your document, just right-click on it and choose properties. You could fit many novels on your flash drive.

Why don’t you simply see how big the file is? I can elaborate on my instructions on how to do so, if need be.

BTW, it sounds like 64meg would have been plenty.

In plaintext, my calculations say you should be able to fit 300,000 words, or 3 average novels onto one 1.44 Meg floppy.

So, yeah, 256 Megs should be enough.

(No offense, but I kinda chuckled at the OP, cuz I remember way back when in the Commodore 64 days how positively unfathomable 256 Megs seemed.)

Tell me about it; my first IBM PC-XT had a 10MB hard drive.

Luxury.

My first computer was a TI-99/4A, and it stored data acoustically on audio cassette tapes. No hard drive, no floppys. (You could get a floppy drive, but it was expensive and bigger than the computer itself)

Now the punch-card people will come in and tell me how great I had it…

Actually, in 1975, I used a dedicated word processor that output to punched paper tape.

No punch cards, but my first computer–the Commodore VIC-20–came with a whopping 5K of RAM! When you booted it up, 1.5K was used up on system stuff, so you only actually had 3.5K available to program with! WOO HOO! And, yeah, I used the Datasette audio cassette storage system.

The great thing is, you actually could do a lot with an unexpanded 3.5K computer.

You had 5k? My first computer was a ZX81 that had 1k of RAM out of the box. [sub]For about three minutes, as long as it took to attach the 16k RAM expansion…[/sub] I provided a TV set for display and an audio-cassette recorder for storage.

As for paper tape, when I visited Waterloo University as a grade-13 high-school student in the spring of 1981, we were shown the computer centre and introduced to how to do a sample program on punch cards. When I got there the following September, the punch-card terminals were gone.

Hey, I used punch cards. Once. in 1960. For 20 minutes :wink:
(Ducks & Runs like hell )

I’m actually a bit too young for that but somebody had to say it!

If your Word doc file is really huge, here’s something that might help - cut and paste the lot into a fresh doc and save that one. This can help reduce size since newer versions of Word tend to save a ‘history’ in with the file. Especially if you have autosave turned on.

(autosave is your friend, barring the space issue, especially with a dying laptop at finals time at university. :eek:)

In my experience, Autosave is NOT your friend. Saving frequently, making backups, those are your friends. Autosave, as **lizardling ** noted, adds a lot of junk to your files which, as they grow in size, has been known to corrupt the files. No, I don’t know what “corrupt” means, but I know it’s what the IT folks tell you when they are not going to be able to fix it.

Autosave is my friend like the aliens in Mars Attacks are my friends…