Can Jews and Moslems drink milk from pigs?

By the same token, you could munch on a slice of cheese melted on a breast of chicken, secure in the knowledge that no matter what bizzare shipping and stocking of products might have occurred, there’s no way that combination involves the milk of the mother.

But the rules of kasrut involve more than merely a strict and literal observance of the mitvot. They involve what’s often called “building a fence around the Torah,” a concept that’s offered in the very first Misnah - the idea being that by observing this set of rules, not only is G-d’s command observed, but there is created a zone of safety, an area such that you KNOW you’re not going to inadvertantly transgress the commandment.

Right. And there is at least one product of a non-kosher animal that is perfectly kosher. A lot of these “rules” are later interpretations and are not explicit in the bible.

Grim of course is referring to humans and the second product is honey. Bees and ants are explicitly forbidden and grasshoppers and locusts explicitly allowed.

I’ll stick with the Texas sausage from City Barbecue.

So. . . could a homeopathic remedy derived from pork be kosher?:wink:

Let’s not be picky!
I had dinner with two of each in Geneva one time.
I ordered the roast pork loin by pointing to it on the menu for the waiter.
They all told the waiter they wanted the same.
After dinner they commented on how good the roast lamb was to which I heartily agreed. :wink:

One day in the cafeteria one of them pointed to a piece of ham saying “I’ll have some of the red fish.” The server said, “Thats ham” to which he replied, “Did I ask what kind of fish?” :smack:

Hmmm… most interesting. Thanks for the information, everyone! (I’ll stop hijacking now…)

You let them eat something they wouldn’t normally have eaten? You didn’t even feel like you might want to tell them that it was pig? That strikes me as entertaining yourself at other people’s expense.

John Mace:

Not sure.

Exapno:

The answer, though, is probably yes (as long as the manufacturer was supervised to ensure no actual meat at all is still on the bone at the time of the processing). The source for this hair-splitting is Leviticus 12:8, which (after listing animals that may not be eaten) says “Of their flesh you shall not eat”, and the Midrash (quoted by the sage Rashi) comments “Of their flesh you shall not eat, but you may eat of their bones, sinews and hooves.”

FormerMarineGuy:

The quote I was responding to specifically mentioned Kosher. I make no claims regarding Muslim law. As for a cite (regarding the Kosher status of pig bones) see above.

Malienation:

Not true, at least as regards Kosher. I know the verse in Leviticus says “and their carcasses you shall not touch,” but this is interpreted as a purity prohibition - their carcasses render impure by touch, so one must not touch them when one is likely to go to the Holy Temple.

grimpixie:

If you’re referring to human, you’re being too clever for your own good - human flesh is actually not considered to be non-Kosher based on the laws of Kosher animals. (Though it is prohibited for other reasons.)

(more responses later)

From the second part of his story, I got the impression the friends in question knew what they were ordering, but were playing coy about it. I am a bit curious who they thought they were fooling. I would hope Allah and/or G-d aren’t quite so…credulous.

The second story sounded that way. I didn’t get that vibe from the first story at all.

And yeah, I doubt pretending ignorance fools YHWH. He’s apparently pretty bright.

I thought the reference was human milk- a kosher product from a non-kosher source (like honey from bees). It was response to the statement that kosher milk only comes from kosher animals…

Right…and my response was that humans are not technically non-Kosher animals.

Whoops- misread the “technically not non-kosher” as “non-kosher”

:o

I had to stop chewing my cud and scratch my cloven hoof over that statement.

According to Sunni jurisprudence, animals hunted with an arrow are halaal provided the arrow is shot with the intention to kill the animal and the Basmallah is recited as the arrow is released. Animals hunted with dogs are also halaal, with the same rules about intention and Basmallah, and also that the dog must not have started to eat the animal after it is killed.

Also, according to the Sunnis, any animal that lives in the sea is halaal, even if it dies naturally.

Boo - you’ve ruined my favorite Jewish trivia question!! :wink:

Grim