Can people tell the difference between skim and whole milk?

Absolutely. It took me years to get used to drinking 2% (I grew up drinking unhomogenized whole milk). I still can’t manage 1%.

When I was a kid at day camp they’d hand out the ltttle wax-cardboard containers of milk. No comparison, everyone called the skim stuff “dishwater” it was so weak. I can tell if I use 2% instead of my typical 1% nowadays on cereal. Real mik (3.5%)? No contest, easy to tell.

There’s 8 or 9 grams of milk fat in an 8 oz cup of milk. Wouldn’t you notice if someone took your favorite drink (tea, coffee, juice, soda, whatever) and blended in a pat of butter?

Just to chime in, it is an entirely different consistency, mouth-feel, and taste due to the fat content. As I am watching my fat intake, I forced myself to accept skim (by gradually going from whole to 2% to 1.5% to 1% to skim - can’t find 1.5% anymore). I keep 2% for most cooking applications that call for whole milk and for my coffee (down from half&half). I’d rather drink black coffee than coffee with skim. For oatmeal, cereal, and other applications, I’ve reluctantly taught myself to accept skim.

Honestly this is like asking if there is any study that proves people can tell the difference between beef and lamb.

Many grew up with whole and now resentfully drink skim for health considerations. Those of us who were raised on skim gag when we are faced with drinking whole.

My wife grew up on whole and loves a product available out east called “Skim plus”, which seems to be partially evaporated skim milk, or at least skim milk with extra evaporated skim milk added (same difference) - ends up as the same calories as whole but those calories contain much more protein and much less fat, and it gives her the mouthfeel that she misses. They don’t seem to sell it near us though; she had it at her mom’s.

This would have made a great poll…

Just another data point here, but yes Frylock to me they taste significantly different. If I had skim, 1%, 2%, and whole in blind taste test containers I am 100% confident I could easily tell the difference by taste alone.

So far, nothing but anecdotes and personal claims. Not being snarky, but where are the double-blind taste tests, or visual tests? Not playing James Randi here but a lot of this is like audiophiles claiming to hear a differenct in speaker wires. It doesn’t stand up to testing.

I can’t belive the government or industry hasn’t sponsored research in this area.

Yup. There’s a layer of transparency on the surface of skim milk.

This. They look different and taste different. It doesn’t matter whether I’m drinking it or using it in my coffee. I used to use half & half in my coffee, then I gradually weaned myself to whole milk, then to 2%. I can’t go any further; when I put 1% or skim in my coffee, it tastes very similar to black coffee.

You are obviously correct: I don’t believe her. (And I’ve never discussed it with other acquaintances.)

Rather than go out and buy two kinds of milk (one of which she doesn’t like, if she’s indeed right that she can tell the difference) and confronting her with a demand for a taste test, I’ve decided to satisfy my curiosity not by polling the dope (as you suggested) but asking if this has actually been tested and shown to be true in some verifiable way.

Lots of anecdotes and unsubstantiated claims here here… my anecdote is:

When I was poor, I was at the WIC office and they were doing a taste-test demonstration of people’s general inability to make the distinction between skim and whole. The demonstration seemed quite convincing–people’s chances of getting it right throughout the day had been about fifty fifty.

But maybe they had the milks mixed up, or maybe one was older than the other, or maybe refrigeration levels are important, or something.

I’m looking for hard data, if it exists.

ETA BTW my wife failed that taste test. But like I said it was far from a rigorous test.

We keep both a gallon of skim milk and a gallon of 2% in our fridge, and it’s easy to tell the difference just by how it looks when you pour it. 2% is much thicker.

I grew up on whole milk, which I still love but rarely drink because of the fat. But it’s like drinking pure cream now that I’m not used to it. (It’s wonderful!).

I doubt you’ll find any hard data. And I’m rather stunned that you can’t tell the difference. Isn’t your Wife’s word, and those opinions here good enough? Why would the SDMB (or your Wife for that matter) lie to you?

Coke and Pepsi taste quite different. Just sayin’.

Isn’t that clockwork’s point?

I don’t think anyone is lying.

Best cite I can find so far (and it’s not very good) says 56 percent of people tested could tell the difference. No details about how this was measured, though.

http://1milk-protein.com/

The way I read it is this: ‘This isn’t like comparing Pepsi and Coke, [which taste virtually the same]. Whole milk and skim milk are entirely different.’

I say that Coke and Pepsi are immediately differentiated by taste.

Umm…

I think this had to be rigged. I can’t imagine that 50% couldn’t tell the difference. It’s night and day.

ETA, just saw your link. Hard to believe.