Can someone explain me gravity?

So far this has been very (self-)rewarding. As I saw this thread dropping out of the first page listing I got desperate and as a matter of seconds threw my latest message. But, if you agree on the speed of gravity, you should tie it up with other phenomenas happening at the same speed. You, but some one else in your pants
:o

Just wondering where you wanted to start. Could certainly do comparisions with electromagnetism, but it’d be more like a list than an explanation.

What is often talked about the as the speed of gravity is the speed of a gravitational wave in the weak field limit. This is c which is also the speed of light in a vacuum. The fact that both are c could naively be deduced from the importnace of c in spacetime.

This must be obvious to everyone else, but I cannot figure out why water takes form of a sphere above a superconductive magnet. It makes perfect sense in space, but how can the added force be equally spread above the magnet - enlighten me, please.

A levitated water droplet will behave pretty much the same way as one in zero-g, since (unlike an ordinary container, which applies forces only to the edges of the water) the magnetic forces act on the water molecules throughout the drop. It still won’t be perfectly uniform, since the magnetic field will vary from one end of the drop to the other, but it’s close enough to make it very close to spherical.

Why, what shape would you expect?

More repelling force near the magnet - a cone? Does a smaller drop float higher?

Ah, there will be more repelling force closer to the magnet; it just won’t vary very much over the size of a water droplet. A smaller drop should float at approximately the same height, since both the magnetic and gravitational forces are proportional to the total amount of water.

Is there a better term instead of “repelling force” in diamagnetism? As we see in the video there is some attraction, when the cooled superconductor follows the levitated magnet.

For some reason if you google my name and gravity you get lots of links but I really have no idea how it works.
Just don’t trust it.

Nah, if you didn’t understand it at all, then you’d be safe. It’s only once you realize that it’s supposed to make you fall that you have a problem.

There are plenty of better ways to describe it, but they’re mathematical, not English.

I’m trying to bind two threads together. Since I started in English I prefer English with this one. What is repelling and what is attracting here?