Can someone explain time signatures to me?

[QUOTE=Excalibre]
From the rest of his post, I suspect he meant he never saw “2/2” written as opposed to the cut-time symbol.
[/QUOTE]

I see, but I’ve seen both in classical and popular (musical scores) notation, and it’s not that uncommon. I would say that outside piano lesson text books, I’ve come across 2/2 more often than the cut time symbol.

[QUOTE=Excalibre]
From the rest of his post, I suspect he meant he never saw “2/2” written as opposed to the cut-time symbol.
[/QUOTE]

Yep, and that’s what surprised me.

[QUOTE=pulykamell]
I see, but I’ve seen both in classical and popular (musical scores) notation, and it’s not that uncommon. I would say that outside piano lesson text books, I’ve come across 2/2 more often than the cut time symbol.
[/QUOTE]

Interestingly enough, the cut time/alla breve symbol can also represent 4/2 (as evidenced in some works of Brahms).

Actually, looking over some piano books, it seems the more modern works tend to the 2/2 notation, while the older ones tend to the cut time notation.

[QUOTE=GorillaMan]

Trust me, it’s common enough.
[/QUOTE]
I’d agree. It’s pretty common.

The weirdest time signature I’ve had to deal with recently was 13/4.

[QUOTE=Cunctator]
The weirdest time signature I’ve had to deal with recently was 13/4.
[/QUOTE]

Try 7/12!

[QUOTE=GorillaMan]
Try 7/12!
[/QUOTE]
Yikes. You win.

[QUOTE=GorillaMan]
Try 7/12!
[/QUOTE]

I can’t even figure out what that means. My musical education as a child was limited. Would that be seven dotted sixteenth notes per measure? Or what?

[QUOTE=Excalibre]
I can’t even figure out what that means. My musical education as a child was limited. Would that be seven dotted sixteenth notes per measure? Or what?
[/QUOTE]
Perhaps it’s some weird rhythm based on tripletised quavers?

[QUOTE=Cunctator]
Perhaps it’s some weird rhythm based on tripletised quavers?
[/QUOTE]

Yep - Wikipedia does have an entry on it, but I’m tempted to go and clean it up :wink: Time signature - Wikipedia