Can someone explain today's XKCD to me?

Hmmm…perhaps. I was thinking more along the lines of the speed of entry. For every second here, 500 passes there, so that water travelling at 200 m/s on our side would burst through at 100,000 m/s over in Narnia. I’m not sure what the heck happens to water at that speed but I can’t imagine it’s anything you’d want to see coming at you.

It’s difficult to come up with a usable model, of course, but I suspect that the effect would be to significantly inhibit the amount of flow that can get through. The closest analogy I can come up with would be restricting the effective area of the aperture by a factor of 500.

And Skald, I think you might have been a nonpaying guest for a while? That would have meant that your location wouldn’t be visible.

Putting on my Lewis fanboy hat, I have to say this idea simply can’t work. The passage between Narnia and England isn’t open all the time; it’s only open when Aslan wants it to be. Plus, even if it were, the Great Lion is master of earth and storm and sky; he can deal with the worst flood mortals can imagine or devise.`

So…you’re saying that if the world is flooded to wipe away evil, it’s the will of Aslan?

I’m saying that Aslan has a plan. Athena would have a better one, of course.

You sound like an eerily accurate parody of Qin / Curtis.

You have it backwards. If one second here corresponds to 500 seconds there, the speed of flow would decrease by a factor of 500, from 200 m/s to (200 m)/(500 s), or 0.4 m/s.

What Steve MB said.

Also, can anyone explain the Little Rock one in Tansta’s link?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Integral

One of my favorite Fantasy related XKCDs is the one where the Protagonist steps through a portal, has a Narnia-esque Adventure, returns to the real world and then realizes that knowing the Universe is bigger than anyone ever imagined and not being able to talk to anyone about it is going to make him insane.

:smack:

Thank you.

Either that, or he’s the only one with the Portal gun.

Oh, granted. I was answering the general question of a hypothetical open portal between continuities with different (but consistent) rates of time flow, not the specific question of the particular portal found in the Wardrobe.

That would be this one.

See also Relentlessly Mundane, by Jo Walton.

Sure, I get that. It’s just that Narnia is the wrong example for that hypothetical; even the first book makes it clear the rate isn’t consistent. I don’t think they’re related at all, in fact.