Can the government listen to cell phone conversations when the phone is turned off?

Tin foil hats are the most effective.

You can also learn pidgin Swahili. (This was a “free tip” offered to me by a guy taking collections at a Salvation Army dropoff site. He and his daughter developed a version of Swahili so that no one could eavesdrop on them. According to him, the CIA knocked on his door asking about it just a couple of weeks after they started. So… the CIA can tap your phone, computer, etc. but they can’t read Swahili.)

Relavent article

That’s why people running from the Feds always take the battery out of their phones in TV programs…

The OPP tracked down three murder suspects recently using a stolen cell phone.

I thought you were the Walrus.

The Walrus is Paul.

O.T. but related, can direction find a radio when its not transmitting, but it does have to be switched on.

One time I ass dialed 911. Does that count?

Is this a question or a statement?

There are portable communications devices that do indeed allow monitoring whilst they are turned off.

I use one every day from the user end - not the monitoring end, and whilst these are not mobile phones, the technology is so similar that it is no stretch of the imagination at all to believe this is possible, heck, some versions also broadcast their precise location, off or on.

Could you elaborate?

But I’m one of them who’s one of us and he’s one of them who’s one of them.

But I. . .I am

Spartacus.

Come on, folks, someone had to do it! :stuck_out_tongue:

Nope.

Sorry didn’t mean to be obscure.
It was a statement.