Can the human mind be controlled?

How is controlling what a person thinks about something controlling the human mind?
Controlling what a person thinks about something, say perhaps instilling a patriotic feeling, is not the same as controlling a person.
To me, to say somebody is controlling my mind, is to say that they are controlling everything I am thinking like I was some experiment in telemetry or something.

I would have to say that controlling the human mind is currently impossible. We are close to being able to implant chips to assist in hearing and sight, but it is still a far cry from inhibiting thoughts or controlling the human body. Still many decades from that kind of technology.

Archangel111: A microwave emits waves, but that doesn’t mean you can change the nature of the meatloaf being warmed in it by altering the waves. My analogy may be bad, but I don’t believe it is possible to control the microwave itself from those waves either.

The scenario you describe only works if the test subject is willing to re-perform the experiment. And few would be willing to do so.

Ignoring the ethics involved, it would be difficult to get subjects to repeat the experiment. The vast majority of the test subjects disagreed with the experimenter’s orders to keep on shocking the “victim”. Many showed signs of guilt and concern over what they were doing. Some quit as soon as they got too uncomfortable. Few showed signs of even beginning to rationalize their actions.

You could force them to participate, but even then you couldn’t guarantee that they’d rationalize their actions. They might be complying in order to avoid punishment. With time, they may begin to rationalize, but IMO when that happens it’s not that their attitudes changed to accomodate their behavior; their behavior and attitude changed to accomodate their situation.

Look at today’s headline news here:

http://www.cnn.com/2002/TECH/science/05/01/remote.controlled.rats.ap/index.html

Today it is rats. Tomorrow, it’ll be humans.

Are you saying that it is impossible or just difficult? The two are not the same. I do not know, I am not a Dr. or neurologist or physicist, but the problems you present seem more technical than theoretical. Is there some theoretical basis to believe that it will not be possible one day to measure these waves and understand them? Not a criticism, just a request for elaboration.

Rhum Runner:

Here is a little elaboration’

Receiving and interpreting brain waves is possible. Electro-encephalography (EEG) and Evoked Potential Technology has come a long way to receive and interpret the brain waves, although the real revolution will arrive with advances in nanotechnology and software radio technology.

However, transmitting into the brain (required for mind control) is a totally different issue. We are not anywhere near that at this point. Current state-of-the-art requires implants of miniature electronics inside the brain.

So then it could be possible one day to read a person’s thoughts, but far more difficult to actually transmit into the brain and control it. I would think that one of the problems with transmitting into the brain would be turning off the “native” brain processes. Suppose I transmit the insturction to jump up and down on one leg, but the person wants to walk forward. The brain gets both signals and something completely different happens like their heart shuts off or they pick their nose…
As you can no doubt tell, I am way out of my league on this topic…