Can the legal holder of copyright place a work in the public domain?

grumble. . . grumble . . . pdfs . . . harder to shamelessly copy . . . grumble. . . feh

Hey, orks are great substitutes for guard dogs. And you don’t have to feed them, since they’ll just eat mailmen, door-to-door salesmen and joggers.

With at least one exception. Works by US government employees, as part of their employment, is not subject to copyright and is public domain. The IEEE copyright transfer form
located here has a special place for government employees.

Gfactor, thanks for the link to that interesting article.

I’d say it gave a more compelling argument for the use of endnotes than ending copyright, however.

To be candid, I haven’t read much more of it than I quoted. I’ll have to try to get to it this weekend.

You left out “rotections” – I’m guessing it’s a quote from Scooby Doo.

ETA: If you click on the the I-with-an-arrow symbol, you can copy from a PDF file to your heart’s content.

I know how to copy from a pdf. The letters got deleted when I tried to clean up the copy by fixing hard returns and stuff like that. If I hadn’t, the excerpt would have looked as it does below. Notice that “works” and “protections” each begins a line.

12 U.S. DEPT. OF COMMERCE, INFORMATION INFRASTRUCTURE TASK FORCE, WORKING
GROUP ON INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY RIGHTS, INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY AND THE
NATIONAL INFORMATION INFRASTRUCTURE: THE REPORT ON THE WORKING GROUP ON
INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY RIGHTS 16 (1995) (“Those creators who wish to dedicate their
works to the public domain may, of course, do so notwithstanding the availability of
protections under the Copyright Act.”); Robert A. Kreiss, Abandoning Copyrights to Try
to Cut Off Termination Rights, 58 MO. L. REV. 85, 92 (1993) ("[A]bandonment of
copyright can be done explicitly or implicitly.") (footnotes omitted); Henry H. Perritt, Jr.,
Property and Innovation in the Global Information Infrastructure, 1996 U. CHI. LEGAL
F. 261, 292 n.119 (“Copyright owners may relinquish their property interest and put their
works in the public domain.”); see also 2 Goldstein, [[cite to most recent edition]] 217, §
9.3 (describing how abandonment functions as a defense to copyright infringement); 4
Nimmer & Nimmer, [[cite to most recent edition]] § 13.06 (same).