Can the "Positive Gun News" thread be moved out of MPSIMS?

Leave it there and stay out of MPSIMS. I, a mundane and pointless fellow, was once a regular attendee, but the whole thing got too depressing so I stay out.

Sorry, bro. Sometimes guns do save lives.

Good job, Modes.

Now that’s just mean.

GUN!!
ETA: nm, stapler. Sorry.

I am happy for the thread to stay in MPSIMS. The thread is not about debating gun control.

If you dislike guns then why don’t you start a thread in GD?

It took a lot longer for this to come up than I originally thought. My money was on this getting to ATMB by Page 3 at the latest.

I’m pretty sure I’ve seen other gun threads, both positive and negative, in MPSIMS before. Based on the OP, I think the Bone picked pretty well. I’ve also seen various threads in MPSIMS that I wished were in GD just so I could rip the premise as deeply as possible. But at a certain level, no matter how badly I dislike something, that doesn’t automatically make it a debate.

And like others have said, I can always start my own thread in Great Debates if I wish.

Answer – what beats rock, paper, AND scissors.

Sorry – I thought the post was from Carnac

I’m thankful we have a thread to discuss positive gun news. It’s mostly for sharing information about crimes that were stopped or prevented by an armed citizen. Someone operating within their local laws.

It’s not meant as a gun rights debate. People that want to shout about gun rights (for or against) can do so in other forums.

While I agree with the overall mod response, there’s a bit of a disconnect here. That thread is not just someone talking about a cool gun they just bought, it specifically has links to stories where crimes are prevented by the use of guns, often with death or injury to the criminal. It is specifically the apparent rejoicing in the death of the criminal part that has some posters wound up.

But I would agree, if someone wants to dispute the premise that use of guns for self-defense can be a positive thing, start a thread in GD and link to the MPSIMS one.

Maybe its a case of YMMV. What you see as apparent rejoicing I see more as simple satisfaction. I have a feeling many of us who have participated in the thread would have the same reaction any time a criminal is caught and gets sent to prison; especially those committing violent crimes. Again, don’t get me wrong; I understand where the people who would like to see it moved are coming from. But in the end the thread really has been mundane and pointless stuff a few folks have wanted to share.

This is patronizing and laughably out of place. Bone is the gold standard of debate on the gun rights side. I’ve read just about gun thread here over the last few years and I can’t name one person here who is more knowledgable about both firearms and firearm law. There is no doubt in my mind that he has done his homework and his opinion on the subject is better informed than yours and the OP’s combined.

We have a whole thread of bad guns news in the pit. Bone’s thread in MPSIMS points out the inconvenient truth of DGU that too often gets ignored here. If the OP has an issue with a particular anecdote(s) cited in the thread, he should utilize the copy and paste function and start a GD thread on which example he finds most disagreeable.

Bruce Wayne, standing up for gun rights?

So not canon.

I won’t address this statement, given the forum; all I think is appropriate to say here is that his thread comes across more as witnessing than it does anything else.

Oh, I don’t know–depends on which canon. I’ve seen the Bat-Man packing some pretty serious firepower.

You are also welcome to post your own positive gun stories, like gun buy backs, destruction of illegal guns and new gun laws. No one can dictate what constitutes a positive gun story.

Challenge accepted.

All kidding aside it would be my strong suggestion to not try to push the rules because you don’t like the subject of a thread.

Yeah, that’s my impression, too: that thread isn’t so much a place for discussion as it is a combination blog/witnessing thread. If you aren’t going to help Spread the Message, you don’t belong there.

I’ve already posted several times in that thread with no complaint. I think the precedent has already been set.

Not true. There is room for discussion. Just like in hundreds of other MPSIMS threads the vast majority of posters know what kind of posts and discussion are appropriate for the forum.

I believe you. In fact despite what could be a contentious topic that thread has needed relatively little moderation. I would like to keep it that way without those who object to the entire subject from taking it as a challenge to push it until moderation is required.

No, it doesn’t.