Can the president order someone in the military to do something that violates the UCMJ?

I’ll go a step further. ROE isn’t supposed to constrain self-defense. All service members retain that right, the same as civilians. From the 2017 edition of the Operational Law Handbook, Chapter (Rules of Engagement), Section III (CJCS Standing Rules of Engagement)

Even if it’s not specifically permitted in the ROE, self-defense remains legal. It’s an inherent right.

My experience is as an officer and all after we formally transitioned in 1982 to a mission-oriented philosophy based on the Napoleonic war era Prussian military reforms. Unlike the competing directive-oriented philosophy (just follow lawful orders) that people tend to think we operate under, the current doctrine also includes disobeying orders because they are unduly risky to the lives of Soldiers or no longer fit the situation. All three of my commands were conducted under that philosophy. Subordinates questioned and argued against my orders all the time; I encouraged it. When time was too limited to talk it out, they exercised disciplined initiative, did the right thing instead of what I ordered, and reported the change after the fact. I encouraged that too.

I can’t think of any cases in my three commands where I issued or was issued clearly unlawful orders. Some regulations implement federal law and the laws of land warfare; orders violating those would be clearly unlawful. Other regulations are standing orders about how we do business but aren’t based on supporting federal law. I violated plenty of those regulations. I had senior commanders issue orders, which I followed, that violated those regs. (I knew officers that claimed never to have violated regulations as a commander. Those claims never survived more than a couple of questions from me.) Working within a mission-oriented philosophy I avoided violating federal law and tried to minimize violation of non-law based regulations. I tried to only violate them when it was absolutely essential to accomplish the mission. I also tended to give myself a little cover by including by simply deprioritizing things I intended to ignore. (“See I issued written policy guidance to accomplish that as priority #50. We ran out of time before we got that low on the priority list. Oops!” not so innocent blinking) My commanders weren’t stupid; they at least understood the trick I was using if they weren’t using it themselves.

Questions about orders that seemed to violate regulation came up often for me. Subordinates did sometimes put that in the terms of unlawful orders. If we count those, I easily had hundreds of discussions during my career about whether orders I issued were lawful for that usage of the term. Sometimes I changed my mind. Sometimes I didn’t. I just didn’t agree that they were unlawful and was accepting the risk for violating regulation.

Having had both civilian and Army leadership positions, IME subordinates in uniform were a lot more likely to challenge my decisions. It’s not limited to merely unlawful orders. Senior NCOs, especially, could be counted on for frank and passionate push back when they thought my head was in rectal defilade. It’s one of their super powers.

The UCMJ is not different for domestic operations. What’s allowed by federal law is wildly different. Take a look at my lengthy post in this other thread for a lot more detail. There’s been a lot of misunderstanding of the law and speculation about the military performing tasks that would seem to violate Posse Comitatus from the media… and from POTUS.:smack:

From coverage of the NORTHCOM Commander’s press conference

Seems to me the problem with self defense is what is considered appropriate self defense?

For instance schoolyard/bar fights happen all the time. Most usually end with bloody noses and fat lips and not much more. But if you are part of a bar figth can you say you feared for your life and kill the other person and claim it was all self defense?

How do you discern a minor brawl from something potentially more serious? What restraint are you expected to employ before resorting to lethal force?

You’re pretty much looking at the same common law standard for reasonable perception of a threat of death or grievous bodily harm before using deadly force. I was not a lawyer; I would have wanted to consult my Staff Judge Advocate before issuing guidance to my troops. CYA applies…consult your attorney. Rules of Engagement/Rules for the Use of Force (ROE/RUF) are still useful tools to clarify guidance. The justice system is quite different but whether self defense is justified isn’t significantly different than the same potential decision you might have to make on a daily basis as a civilian.

For federal military forces this really isn’t that different than civilians in the area. The simply aren’t allowed to perform a lot of the tasks that the narrative assumes about this mission. Under Posse Comitatus limitations federal troops can’t stop vehicles, arrest/detain people, conduct searches, or conduct surveillance or pursuit of individuals. (see Operational Law Handbook I cited above, p 187.) They can’t put on riot gear and be tasked to perform crowd and riot control. Those tasks are illegal. Most of them can’t even be armed during Defense Support to Civil Authorities missions without SECDEF explicitly authorizing their carry of weapons. (Indirect cite in a Military Times article.)

Federal troops mostly shouldn’t be where there’s a high risk of rocks being thrown at them. The tasks that would take them there are mostly illegal to give to them. If they do happen to end up near an angry rock throwing mob anyway, the question of shooting is mostly going to be moot. It’s unlikely they’ll be armed. If it all comes together and some troop beats someone to death with a wrench, then they can argue whether that was reasonably self defense during the legal process.

Many years ago, I was in the USCG and took the correspondence course for Military Requirements for PO2 (E-5). One section covered Shore Patrol. And one sub section taught handle severe crowd control situations when you have a shotgun. Rock throwing might be considered a severe crowd control situation. And rearming troops with shotguns might be a bit expensive.