Can the Republicans fall in love again?

That’s kind of the question, isn’t it? Seems to me it boils down to one of the following:

1. It never had a chance in hell and he knew it, so he put in a tiny bit of effort so he’d pave something to point to with the progressives when reelection time came around

2. He is as bought as the rest of Washington, and is just serving those who drive his chuck wagon

3. He underestimated the ballslessness of the Senate Democrats - which I have a hard time believing, seeing as how Harry Reid is quite possibly the biggest pussy ever to have existed

4. He’s playing some brilliant long game that nobody outside his inner circle can see, and we’ll all be stunned and amazed at what we see happening in the months before the 2010 elections

5. He’s way too concerned about his legacy, and he doesn’t want to be seen pushing anything unless he’s a 100% it will turn into Solid Gold

6. He thinks somehow the House can handle it since the Senate certainly won’t

7. He hasn’t been around long enough to realize that political capital doesn’t keep forever - and he’s going to keep saving it until the day he’s replaced. Oops.

And probably a couple dozen other possible reasons other people will have to fill in.

-Joe

The speech was so that when the inevitable cave-in over any public option happens, people will believe that it failed in spite of Obama really wanting it and put the blame on congressional Democrats. If Obama really wanted effective healthcare reform he could put it through with a simple majority but he doesn’t so this is all just elaborate theatre to mask him and a bunch of Dems like Baucus being bought and paid for by the healthcare lobbyists.

Health care would be a fantastic legacy. I don’t think he has washed his hands of it at all. He is not part of the conferences that are debating and fighting over it in the House and Senate. His time may come soon.