Can Trump use the military to build The Wall?

So as a factual matter, DoD doesn’t have a lot of discretion with its budget. It can’t simply decide not to buy a submarine and instead buy a Death Star. In the same way, they can’t just decide to not buy F-35s and instead build a border wall.

There are a couple limited authorities that come into play, but those would seem to apply only to building a wall along military-owned property. There’s lots of discussion now about building a second barrier on the Barry M. Goldwater Range in Arizona. A fence already exists now, and maybe there’s planning for a second fence along the 30-ish miles that the bombing range neighbors Mexico.

In my opinion, building a wall along 2,000 miles of border is a criminally stupid idea… but improving security so innocent people don’t wander into a live bombing range? That doesn’t bother me at all.

But as to the other 1,970 miles of border? No, the military can’t just do such things on their own authority and budget.

Keep in mind that the penalty for spending money not approved by Congress is a felony, under the Antideficiency Act.

Isn’t that only like .4% of $1 billion? Which is only 20% of what is needed to build the wall?

Yes, the government is generally prohibited from accepting contributions except as authorized by law. This is to ensure that the power of the purse resides with Congress, not a rogue Administration raising funds from cronies for things Congress opposes.

This is correct. Congress doesn’t just say, “Here’s your budget for the year, do whatever you want.” It specifies exactly how many tanks, planes, bombs, whatever, they are authorized each year, down to the specific type of equipment and the expected cost of operation. There are built-in discretionary funds for otherwise unfunded requirements (eg. 'You have $X to spend on whatever training you want) but these budgets aren’t exactly Great-Wall-of-Trump type money.

so - what does happen to the goFundMe money? thats a hellufa way to scam a whole bunch of trumpsters.

It is more of a political statement, and I am surprised that GoFundMe is allowing it to proceed.

Exactly. Sometimes you can shift pots of money about in your budget, but you can’t just do that on the level we are talking here.

As I understand it (based on a quick internet search), the money donated to a goFundMe campaign goes to the campaign’s organizer, who is free to do with it as she/he pleases.

If somebody can correct me, please do so.

I think I figured out a way to get the supplies needed to build The Wall. Everyone should mail a brick to the White House addressed to Trump and, for that personal touch to show him how much you care, write a special message on it.

Is there a picture available of this “artistic steel-slat” barrier Trump is talking about?

This question was asked yesterday of a Democratic congressman, who replied it would be unconstitutional. He did not elaborate though.

Need laborers? Use the prisoners. Make them earn their keep.

Problem solved.

I think you can buy “artistic steel-slats” on Etsy…

I think I agree with this, but I would say it a different way. The question of what happens to the money would be a civil matter between the organizer and the contributors. The government has no interest or stake in the disposition of the funds.

Wow, you don’t see that one come up very often.