Can two states merge?

Oops, I retract the statement about Utah and North Carolina changing seats. Something weird is going on. My calculations show Utah with four and North Carolina with twelve, even with separate Dakotas. I’m using the official numbers, so I don’t know what the problem is. There’s probably some adjustments they make to the population numbers that I’m not taking into account.

This dispute over whether NC or UT should get the House seat went to the Supreme Court, in Utah v. Evans. As you noticed, Utah lost out to North Carolina in the end.

Each of the Dakotas has only one Representative. Combined, the states would have two Reps and two Senators for a total of four EV. Separately, they have six.

Until Maine was admitted to statehood in its own right in 1820, it was a non-contiguous part of Massachusetts.

Besides the snopes article that pravnik linked to, these threads may also interest you:

Can Texas Still Split Into Five States?

Texas into 5 States?

There are also other examples. The Western Reserve area of Ohio was claimed by Connecticut as a western extension of CT’s north and south borders. Notwithstanding the fact that NY and part of PA lay in between.