Can we come to a consensus on the differences between ethics and morality?

Your post supports the usage I learned in graduate school. “Ethics” refers to improprieties typically related to given profession, calling, etc. Influence peddling would be a wrongdoing especially pertaining to politicians, but would be strange to accuse a hotel owner of the same.

But I think even secularists would describe slavery as an immoral institution. I have heard secularists call the disparity of wealth in our nation “immoral” and condemn the war in Iraq as “immoral”.

I just disagree with your premise that “morality” pertains to religion and “ethics” pertains to secularists. It is a specious distinction.

I have no idea what you are talking about the bubbly co’ed comparing your degree in English to my degree in Social Ethics. What are you getting at?

I agree. Ethics, as it is used by many, would be the application of certain moral values into a specific domain, creating special norms. Ethics, in a way, reduces the arena of moral choice. It is a rule based theory of morality, as opposed to an act based theory. Your depiction of the TV character is an excellent example – he is unethical, but moral. The danger, of course, is that he ignores the wisdom of society as it has created ethical norms.

Imagine the therapist who falls in love with her patient, and believes that he truly loves her. Therapist ethics says “no physical contact, and no contact outside the professional parameters.” But since this is true love, and she like the physician you describe, believes in morals and not ethics, permits herself to deviate from ethical standards.

Our American appreciation of “rugged individuals” rebels against the strictures of rule bound ethics, but for most of us in the varied profession, those ethical rules are to protect us from our own lack of good judgment and to protect those whom we serve from harm.

I agree, but add that ethics are derived from moral values. As many use the terms today, they related as a kind of cause and effect: ethics are derived from a given set of moral values as they pertain to given set of human behaviors.

“Ethics” is a framework to promote mutually beneficial interactions between willing participants, and its principal prohibitions are on force and fraud. “Morals” is more of a prohibition of taboos, which vary greatly and almost randomly between societies. Picking fights and stealing stuff is condemned pretty much everywhere, and the ethics that proscribe this behavior are pretty much understood by people everywhere. Moral concepts are more religion- and area-specific; marrying your cousin is forbidden in some tribes and hunky-dory in others. So is eating pork or working on Sunday. These concerns differ from ethical ones, not because someone is obviously victimised by them, but because some cultures find them wrong at something approaching the religious level.

Just what I said earlier about “morality” having priggish, Falwellian baggage associated with it that “ethics” doesn’t have. I suspect that people impressed with your credentials as an “ethicist” might be put off by similar credentials as a “moralist.”

I think you have concocted your own definitions, and projected emotions pertaining thereto on innocent co’eds, very likely bursting their innocent bubbliness.

Not that you can’t make up your own definitions. I just don’t think they add any clarity to the topic. Maybe you should make a distinction between “morals” (having to do with right and wrong) and “moralizing” (the priggish behavior of our friend Falwell, and given some of his decidedly offensive pronouncements – may he fall badly).

One of the first threads that I ever started on the SD was about the difference between ethics and morals. Alas, the thread seems to have disappeared by now, but the answer that I came away with is one that has been stated a time or two in this thread, and that is that morals have to do with issues of right and wrong that are between you and your god(s) or within yourself while ethics have to do with issues of right and wrong that are between you and others.

That distinction has worked for me.