Can we counteract muscle degeneration for long transits in space yet?

Someone is getting pushed out of an air lock on that trip :smiley:

CAPT

Thank you for your replies! Good question Saint Cad, I’d like to know the answer too.

(Darth Panda, heh!)

You’re still misunderstanding it.

Yes, there are gravitational forces in orbit, but the the thing that causes muscle atrophy is weightlessness. Your muscles don’t have to work to move your body against gravity, and they get weaker. If you’re in free fall, you’re weightless, regardless of how close you are to a massive body.

Think of it this way: if you’re at sea level in a plunging elevator shaft (uh, in vacuum), then there are certainly gravitational forces acting on you, but you’re still effectively weightless. If the elevator shaft were deep enough to fall for 11 days, you’d experience the same muscular atrophy as astronauts do in space. The presence or absence of gravity is not the determining factor.

How do muscles weaken so fast? I’d think that the time would be much longer, say a year for that much weakening. Surely that doesn’t also mean that you lose 30% of your muscle *mass *in 11 days, especially seeing how long it can take to build it in the first place, at least if you are a bodybuilder (does this also apply if you lift weights then stop for even a week or two; the muscles now no longer do much work and would return to their normal strength/mass); if only fat loss was that easy…

I didn’t progress past the OP when I pointed that out. I didn’t continue on past the error before I let you know, I’m sorry that irritated you so. :confused:

I do not think you got what I was saying, sez the chick in the choir… :wink:

I guess I don’t. It sounded like you were disagreeing with Chronos and arguing that microgravity is substantively different than 0 gravity with respect to muscle atrophy. If that’s not what you were saying, would you explain what you were claiming?