Can we discuss recent trends in moderation?

There is a difference between parody, which would be allowed, and actual bigotry, which is gross and no longer allowed. Mel Brooks would certainly and rightly be disgusted by anyone defending bigotry in his name. What this has to do with moderation on this message board is beyond me. Outside of here, anyone can make any movie they want.

You say satire is allowed;

I did not know you had talked to Mr. Brooks. I hope he is well. I am sure you are not putting words in his mouth.

Are you suggesting that Brooks is pro bigotry? Because if so, I think you’re enjoying Blazing Saddles for the wrong reasons.

Then there are plenty of place you could go that you can be insulted without moderation. You choose to be here, where there is moderation. I don’t get it. Is there something about this place that you do like? And if so, could that possibly be attributed to the way that this place doesn’t let me insult you in most forums?

So, is it free speech for me to come into your living room and tell you what you don’t want to hear?

You are free to say it, others are not required to listen, and you are not required to be given a platform. If you are free to speak, then I should be free to ignore you.

Right, but I’m not sure what reason you have to believe posts upstream. I don’t see any reason why it couldn’t be made today. That’s a common sentiment among those who want to complain about their free speech being taken away, but it doesn’t make it true.

It’s an extremely common sentiment sadly and effectively always spouted by hateful bigots who are upset that “only black people can say n-word” or want free reign to bash trans people. The only reason that Blazing Saddles “can’t be made today” is that it was the ultimate mic drop. There is no reason for it to be made today. I can’t think of a bigger irony than bigots citing Blazing Saddles.

The one issue I still have is that now closing a thread until the mods confer is considered less intrusive then simply guiding the thread through mod notes. Maybe it’s my little brain but I can’t understand how closing a thread for any time is plan A over telling posters to avoid a certain topic until further notice.

Warner Brothers did a limited theatrical re-release of Blazing Saddles when Gene Wilder died in 2016, so the idea that it couldn’t be in the theaters today is untrue on its face.

The real reason it’ll never be remade (other than as a cartoon) is because it’s exactly as biting now as it was 50 years ago. A remake has nowhere to go but down.

ETA: sort-of-ninja’d by hajaro.

And Mel is 96.

Something to keep in mind is that the moderator’s time is limited, their patience even more so, and they are not paid for their efforts. I don’t think that there is anything “simple” about guiding the thread through mod notes, and that it is asking for the mods to take on a whole bunch more work.

I think that the thread being closed, at least while the Mode is making a response, is a quirk of the software.

SC is referring to this:

Yeah, if there are enough flags, I think it autocloses. I know it used to, anyway, and I don’t know if they ever did or could change that.

Very much this. Especially as anything that comes up as a note without a warning is often ‘missed’ when people are only reading the most recent few posts before replying and missing 1-2 prior mod notes 30-40 posts back.

And that’s ignoring how many new posts (which may require modding themselves!) end up in threads like this one because we, the argumentative types that we are, will immediately come here to ATMB to complain about notes and ‘mai frei speech!’. It’s an endless feedback loop.

I figure we could deal with it if we had another half dozen, thick skinned, no life, self sacrificing foo… I mean heroes willing to dedicate all their time to detailed modding, but most of those I would voluntold to do it have expressed they wouldn’t do it for money, much less for free.

No, it is a manual step. Some threads are moving fast or worse getting ugly fast. So I close them while trying to sort them out.

Another case is by the time a mod does arrive, there are now a bunch of posts that need staff notes and maybe 2+ that need modnotes. Additionally, you would be surprised how often someone is in the middle of posting and doesn’t see the Modnote and so violates the modnote unintentionally.

I had one just the other day where it was hours later, but that is unusual.

So I try to estimate how long I should close the thread to prevent more need for Mod intervention.

But in this case, Saint Cad is talking about one where I closed the thread as I didn’t have time to deal with it and I knew the other mods were not available either. I was unsure how to mod the thread or even if the thread should be reopened IIRC. So I left it closed until the next day. I would have to go back to the thread and the ATMB thread for all the details now.

After removing 2 spammers just now I went and checked. The thread was moving into Men’s Rights arguments. At a quick glance I was considering leaving it closed or possible Warnings.

I explained pretty well in thread why it was closed until the GD mods could get back to it. I didn’t even modnote anyone but it caused a hullabaloo.

Thanks for the details and for the record, I have no problem with threads being temporarily closed to give the staff time to respond to issues.

This is a point towards not having enough moderators.

I don’t disagree with that, but I also don’t see a ready solution.

It’s not like people are lining up for the job.

What I don’t want to do is to see fewer moderators, if we burn them out.

Except it was Halloween weekend and even if we had twice as many un-paid Moderators, there is still a decent chance no one would have been available then. We will never have paid moderators in any foreseeable future.

However, I’m not against more moderators. We could really use some not in the continental US to increase time coverage. We could use some solid and dedicated volunteers.

They would submit their names to Ed Zotti of course and a review process can take a while.

In my case it stretch out over a year but unusual circumstances were involved. Tuba_Diva was ready to bring me on staff when the old board software started really failing. So she wisely decided to hold off. Then she very sadly passed just as the conversion was completed. I was honestly surprised when Ed got hold of me a short time later about interviewing for Moderator.

Don’t bother asking William Tecumseh Sherman.

Holy shit, reading the plot summary, that movie IS Blazing Saddles. Apparently early in production it wad called Blazing Samurai and was about a black samurai defending a japanese village.

Like, it’s not “inspired by” Blazing Saddles, it’s literally the same movie.