Can we get rid of "retard" next?

What about “moron”? I’m assuming it falls under the same idea as “retard”? I’m much more likely to use that than the latter.

The consensus above seems to be “not the same.” Moron (and idiot) stopped being clinical terms in general use by about 1940 (WAG), while retard(ed) was such from then until about 1990
(another WAG), so “moron” doesn’t have the same kind of sting. It’s no longer (i.e., in living memory) associated with an actual group of individuals.

I think this recent warning is relevant to the thread:

~Max

Thank you for that information Max.

Good to know. Thanks!

Don’t thank me, thank the mods.

~Max

Perhaps @engineer_comp_geek could confirm something. There was general consensus here that insta-Warnings were not warranted for a first inappropriate use of “retard”, and I just wanted to point out that (I think) this is not what we’re seeing here.

Here’s the full text of the post in question:

The term “retard” was not directed at @CairoCarol, but the first part of the post was. So I think what we’re seeing is a Note about first inappropriate use of “retard”, and the upgrade to Warning is for the first couple of sentences as an insult toward another poster. All of which looks like good moderation to me, that poster was really rude in that thread.

That was my read of it. Note for the use of “retard” as a derogatory term for an off-board member, warning for the personal attack (implying that a member is somehow deficient as an adult because she thinks of left and right in terms of hands).

~Max

Clarification:

The mod note was for use of the word “retarded”.

The warning was for insults and hostility in the post that was quoted as well as hostility towards other users throughout the entire thread. The warning was not for the use of the word “retarded”.

Thank you for the very clear explanation. :+1:

That whole thread is wild. The OP asks a factual question, but then very quickly makes it clear that their real intent is to grind their axe over an english pet peeve.

Thanks!