Can we hope to eliminate Female Genital Mutilation while we still allow Male GM (circumcision)

Sexist? What did I say that was sexist?

Sorry, I forgot to give you the link with the Youtube video showing a circumcision. Here it is. [url ]h ttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmX6RdRNoqk

Well, I don’t have to tell her anything: I just have to convince state legislatures that such a thing is logically convincing and that they should pass laws/authorize enforcement to the degree that people don’t do it. Lots of people (myself included) don’t see any logical difference between making alcohol legal and pot illegal, but lots of those same people (myself included) don’t smoke pot because the consequences are too severe.

Do you really think people currently practicing FGM are mentally validating that choice with the argument “Well, Americans do it to boys!”?

Sexist? ??? Do you really read what I am saying? I am saying that Female Genital Mutilation is a horrible atrocity that men and women must fight against worldwide. Including in the West, (e.g. in America and Europe) where millions of immigrants are arriving from countries where 90% of women are genitally mutilated, and where immigrant couples are finding it ever easier to find a doctor who will multilate their daughter to “make her a good girl.” And what I have noticed is that a lot of these people refer to this horrid mutilation as “female circumcision.” And these people rightly wonder why female “circumcision” is illegal here, but not male.

I want our position to be a consistent one that says that NO infant, BOY or GIRL, should have their genitals cut or modified except for cases of medical urgency.
Is that sexist?

Well, they are using the argument “Americans do it to boys.” in boards like this, in discussions I have seen on YouTube and elsewhere. The more America and her allies push to eliminate FGM at home and abroad, the more often that argument will come up.

And, now,…you’re talking about your dick!

NOBODY ASKED!

You voluntarily came onto a thread that was about circumcision. Guess what? Dicks are part of the discussion. I would love to tell you that my rights were taken away from me because they took off my clitoris and sewed my labia together, but I just don’t happen to have that equipment. The point of my comment is not my dick, it is that I was violated.

Please observe 2 click rule for NSFW material.

[/moderating]

NOBODY ASKED!!???

I didn’t rrealize that there was a new rule that required all information posted to be an answer to a previously posted question. Could you please direct me to this new rule?

It’s sexist to take a current, urgent issue for women and use it entirely as leverage to achieve your own political goals. It doesn’t matter if you agree it’s terrible–I’m sure you do.

No one who has any legislative power in this country is in favor of FGM. The people in favor of FGM in this country are a tiny minority, relatively speaking, and changing the behavior of millions of other people seems like a very difficult sell and a tremendously indirect way to address that issue. In other parts of the world, I can’t see people who practice FGM really using what Americans do thousands of miles away as an excuse.

Now, if you want to argue that in places where FGM is common, public awareness efforts should aim themselves at all genital cutting, well, I would listen to that argument. But I’d really like to hear from an expert for the particular culture in question. T

Mr. or Ms. Moderator: Sorry to be so thick, but maybe I have been away from this message board too long. What is the 2-click rule and what is NSFW material? I’m serious, I really don’t understand.:o

From the FAQ:

Yes we can hope to eliminate female circumcision while allowing male circumcision. No matter what you call it the vast majority of American males don’t think male circumcision should be eliminated and the vast majority of American females think female circumcision should be eliminated. That right there is the kind of socio-political unity among the electorate that is rare to see and unless that situation changes these two different forms of circumcision will be treated differently and the laws will remain the same, if not more stringently in favor of allowing male circumcision and eliminating female circumcision.

Manda Joe, are you a millenial? (I am a baby boomer, almost 70 years young). The reason I ask is that I have noticed millenials use accusations like “sexist” and “racist” to describe anything you don’t like. It gets really confusing to an old fart like me. Like in Toronto last month where a group of ex-Muslims marched in the Pride parade with signs attacking Iran’s persecution of gays. (The marchers were Iranian in origin.) A conservative Muslim (who probably thinks it is just peachy to kill gays) almost got them kicked out of the parade by alleging (wait for it) RACISM!!! Attacking Iran’s murder of gays in a Pride parade might offend some Iranians along the Parade route, and since they are swarthy people, that is RACISM!!! is it not?

If I am charged with sexism, it must be at about the same level of credibility.

Okay, bone, that is quite clear and makes sense. Now I am sorry to be a pain in the a, but I have a technical question. How do I make something two-click? I mean how do I do it technically speaking? Sorry to be such a pest.

Then people in the west who campaign against FGM in other countries will have a chink in their armour, and will seem like hypocrites.

Break the link like Bone did or put the link in a spoiler tag.

Link (close the gap in between the red characters)

You should get a spoiler box like this: link

Who are these people that we should care consider us hypocrites? Who are the people who overwhelmingly believe that both male and female circumcision are equivalent and must be banned? I don’t know that there is no such place but if there is I’m curious where a significant society has a predominant belief that both male and female circumcision should be eliminated.

The problem is that for many, if not most Jews, male circumcision is commanded by G*d and part of male Jewish identity. Historically, they have been pretty resistant to giving it up. I don’t expect them to change on this topic.

I’m sorry you feel violated but if you actually respected people you wouldn’t alienate them on the basis of their identity.