Can you actually reverse the polarity?

Um, er,

*kinda cool,*on one side.
Love them puns, keep 'em coming!

Devices with power switches usually have polarized plugs, since you want to switch the hot and not the neutral.

I once saw a design that used a full-wave bridge rectifier after the battery. I guess the designers were worried about damaged caused by reverse polarity. While this approach would work, it’s certainly not very efficient.

That’s why you should use an oscillation overthruster instead.

Or you could reverse the polarity of a microwave oven and make icecubes in 30 seconds.

Now that’s just silly.

And you didn’t get a video of it???! For shame!!

I think I dated a girl who had one of those. She was quite fond of it.

If you plug a computer in backwards, the internet will consist mostly of women putting their clothes on.

Is there actually any system on a galaxy class starship that can’t have it’s polarity, how shall I put it, finessed?

I was always so afraid of putting in batteries facing the wrong way. Now you’re telling me for small loads it’s no biggie?

Also, if you reverse the polarity of static you can fly.

And if the modem is circularly-polarized, they start knitting sweaters.

A flashlight, reverse polarity may woirk fine. A radio or ipod? who knows.

Well, I expect the radio and ipod have diodes, as would a flashlight if it’s one of the newer ones with LEDs (i.e. diodes). Direction of current will matter.

You can reverse the polarity on speakers and it doesn’t matter a bit. Unless you have multiple speakers playing the same signal and you reverse the polarity on some but not all of them. Do that and you’ll end up with lots of funky phase interference nulls.

Quoth Crafter_Man:

Thanks, I knew there was another scenario I was forgetting. Point is, doing it the other way around will still work, just not as safely.

You are right, even the newer LED flashlights wouldn’t work. At least they wouldn’t be damaged.

DC motors with perminate magnetic fields. DC motors with series or shunt fields will turn the same way.

Traction elevator motors change direction by reversing the polarity on the externally excited field. They have 5 or 6 different field windings.

ALL the polarities are reversed on Opposite Day!

That was Enola Straight - here.