Can you honor the warrior without honoring the regime?

The letter was in response to another letter that propesed that the Argentine Navy put a temporary guard of honour in Langsdorff tomb.

I found out about it after posting. I think that a state backed ceremony is too much.

You cannot honour the warrior without, in some way, honouring the regime. My logic in this is simple - the warrior fights, even if reluctantly, in support of the regime. He always has the option of either not fighting, or else fighting in opposition to the regime. If he does not choose to do so, he is complicit with helping that regime.

Maybe so. I’ll grant that knee-jerk condemnation of any individual German of that era isn’t a good idea, even including the soldiers fighting on the side of the evil regime. But I see no case in going so far as to honor any of the soldiers who worked to further Hitler’s cause.

Still, i see no reason why he should be honored.

So, honouring soldiers in Iraq is the same as honouring Bush?

Interesting question.

Could it be that the Nazi regime is in such a tier that nothing closely tied to it can be honored? Is it in a class by itself? Could a Hutu or Tutsi fighter be decently honored – same tier of evil? Would the passage of time make a difference?

Where do Confederate Civil War soldiers stand? President Jackson?

Pretty much, yes - or Obama, now, I guess. But also the US Government as a whole entity, independent of who is currently its short-term executive.

ETA - not that I think much better of US soldiers in Iraq than I do of German WWII soldiers…