Can you listen to AM radio anymore?

On weekends that I work, I listen to a local AM station that is a call-in political show.
Our very local AM station has a daily " classified ads " around midday for local listeners to buy and sell things.

The radio’s always tuned to NPR, on FM, but sometimes I switch to AM if the person talking is hard to hear – the AM signal is clearer. I also like AM if we’re expecting thunderstorms – the static is an early warning system.

I could never listen to AM. Quality is too low, and too much static.

I still occasionally listen to AM radio but, like nearly everyone else in this thread, only for news, talk radio, sports, and sports talk.

On a related note, does anybody live someplace where there are still AM radio stations that almost exclusively play music (not counting AM stations that simulcast with their FM sister stations)? Where I am (the Spokane-Coeur d’ Alene Market) there’s at least one.

Sorry about the theadjack but tell me about it. Niehaus’ passing is just the cap for what had turned out to be a very sucky year for the Mariners. About the only bad thing left that can happen is if for some misfortune to befall Ichiro and/or Felix Hernandez.

In the Puget Sound area there a few. 880 AM has long played adult standards, 1250 AM is a Radio Disney affiliate (why a kid’s station is on AM puzzles me), and you can just barely get 660 AM (country), 680 AM (some weird station that plays only big band and earlier music), and 1030 (oldies). 570 AM just switched from conservative talk to oldies, and there are Spanish and Korean stations too.
The funny thing is if I remember hearing a song mostly on AM (like old country songs), when I hear it on FM it sounds weird–like somebody threw a ton of overdubs on it.

I often listen to the Grand Ole Opry on WSM AM 650. I use a restored tube radio I got from my grandmother. Members of my family have listened to the Opry on this radio since it was purchased in 1948. I like the connection to my family’s traditions.

Local AM here is all Talk radio and Sports. No oldies music. So, my AM listening is restricted to Saturday nights and WSM.

I rarely tune away from WOI-AM (Iowa Public Radio News Stream) except to get an Iowa State game on KASI-AM (games simulcast on Q105-FM) or stringy-baroquey music on WOI-FM (IPR News+Classical Stream).

As a vintage music enthusiast who was weaned on 78s, I know AM just takes a different set of ears. If I’ve just tuned from FM, it sounds a bit boxy, but the sensation passes as soon as I get into the program.

I don’t even listen to FM, I listen to XM.

Though, if I have to listen to terrestrial radio (in a rental car or whatever) I listen to the local NPR-and-jazz station, which is on the FM. I rarely if ever put on AM, in fact, I don’t even have any AM presets on my car, and I’ve owned it nearly two years.

I’m a rare individual who cares very very little for music in general…so I only listen to AM radio.

Always ESPN.

Well, I’ve already mentioned WMLB in Atlanta which plays a very eclectic mix of music. There are other AM stations that play music in the Atlanta area, generally gospel or Latin music. Religious stations will often play Christian rock/pop between other programming to fill up air time.

Only for the Giants games on KNBR.

I tell you, for real authenticity there’s nothing like a crystal set for tuning in them wireless radio waves.

It’s about content not quantity. AM is for talk, FM is for music and I dislike when stations defy the norm there.

I’m 24. I used to listen to the oldies station on the AM radio all the time. I feel that the “warmth” of that music is brought out by the AM. Sure, I can listen to “Rock the boat” on my ipod through the FM transmitter, but it’s not the same song anymore for me.

Two weeks ago, they switched formats to an all news station. I don’t listen to AM anymore, unless a hockey game or a Blue Jays game is on. I am sad. :frowning:

Almost all I listen to here in SF are 680 and 1050, the sports stations, even when -sigh- baseball season is over. On both my car and my little transistor, they come in perfectly clear.

Joe

I find it amusing that the 70s station on Sirius/XM has the DJs’ microphone set up with some effect to make it sound reminiscent of an AM radio signal.

Coast to coast. nuff said.

I live near the Mexican border, and receive very few signals at all from the U.S.
Lots of Mexican stations, though! And trolling through AM stations is always fun.

My most memorable trip through the AM lane was driving overnight through Oregon/Washington. In the middle of the mountains, when nothing at all was coming in, suddenly my sister and I hear on an AM spot “You are listening to KWEED”

Still laughing about it 10 years later. :stuck_out_tongue:

I have no interest, and I dont want to listen to spectator sports and news.

AM radio needs to offer more. If AM radio would bring back the old radio shows, drama and comedy, like Amos and Andy, Gildersleeve, Our Miss Brooks, Duffys Tavern, Gunsmoke, Have Gun Will Travel, LIfe of Riley, Ozzie and Harriet, Kraft Theater, Dragnet, Jack Benny, Dean Martin and Jerry Lewis, Fibber McGee, etc, then I would listen.

Only when I’m not driving under an overerpass. Or a large bank of overhead wires. Which always happens right in the middle of a traffic report.