can you read in your dreams?

I’ve written chemistry notes in my sleep - the teacher was doing dictation & I fell asleep half way down the page (long lesson,warm room), woke up at the bottom of the page because my hand had run out of room…compared my notes to my friends later & they were accurate, I had even written on the lines & (the really unusual part) kept up with the teacher.

But I don’t remember reading anything whilst asleep.

First things first, I HAVE smelled and tasted in dreams. In one the acrid smell of smoke was so bad that when I woke up I vomited. In another dream I could distinctly remember the taste of some charred human flesh I was eating (it was sour, unpleasant, and unlike anything I have tasted in real life).

As to reading in dreams, I can usually read short phrases or maybe a line or two, but then my concentration starts to waver and I can’t make myself organize the words. If I can remember what I was reading when I wake up it usually makes no sense.

One thing I read in a dream that stuck with me was a very short and very bad poem I read in a huge tome in a dream I had when I was 12 or 13…

The platinum rose,
Where it goes,
Nobody knows

Every once in a blue moon I dream in cartoon; somtimes the dreams are animated, but sometimes they are in comic book/panel form, and I can “read” the characters “talking balloons”, or whatever you call those things.

I cannot, for the life of me, remember what I dreamed, unless something similar happens during the day, and which point I remember it all. And as for reading, I don’t remember ever reading or trying to read. I just happen to “know” what it says.

I read in dreams when I am falling asleep… usually; I am reading a book, and drop off, and the words just keep flowing past my eyes. They don’t make any sense, but in my dream, I’m not worried about it…

Anyone else ever have dreams come true? I do occasionally… only minor things, never lottery numbers or anything important… but interesting, nonetheless…

I can read German fairly well, although not fluently, and I sometimes dream that I’m reading, and completely understanding, a long, complicated passage that I couldn’t possibly comprehend in my waking hours. By the time I wake up I can’t remember a damn thing I read… but I’m amazed at my prowess.

Wow, so many lucid dreaming dopers. I never would’ve thought.

I must say that reading usually is very hard when I dream, the words move around a lot and then my attention usually goes elsewhere.

I had one that saved my life. It’s quite a long story…

I used to do a newspaper round on Sundays. Every Sunday I would pick up the papers from the shop, pick up my bike from home, go the first delivery (an old people’s home), where being an evil person, I would sit on the stairs, leaving the bike outside, & read the cartoons & then continue with the round - next delivery 3 houses on a steep hill which I did on the way up so that I could free wheel down. I always put the breaks on at the same point (2 tarmac lines before the end - regular marks from some road works)

So, one Sunday morning, I’m dreaming & I’m dreaming that I do all the stuff listed above, as usual, but that it starts to rain when I am in the old people’s sheltered housing.
So, I look at the rain & think “It’ll stop soon, I’m not going out there to get wet”, so i wait it out. Wipe the bike seat dry & carry on.

Deliver the next three papers, free wheel down. Put the breaks on. Nothing happens. Wet raod, wet blocks, wet wheels - not hard to figure.

So the bike isn’t slowing & then this dark blue volvo turns right into the road, cutting the lane corner slightly & the front of the bike hits its right wing (I’m England, so we drive on the left) & I go forward over the handle bars & hit my head on the bonnet(sp) (front of car - hood in american?)

Blackness.

In that blackness, I awake, feeling rather spooked, get up, do all the usual, get to the old people’s place & it starts to rain. Now I feel really spooked. But I still outwait the rain - no point in getting wet, right?

Dry the seat, go up the hill, break one block early & the breaks don’t work…

So I’m panicking & I stick my feet down really hard to slow down. They’re getting bounced around, but I’m slowing gradually - very gradually - & I’m just about to throw myself off to the pavement in a panic, when I stop. About 2 inches short of a dark blue volvo which was turning into the road, cutting the corner slightly.

I felt so shakey for the rest of the paper round, it’s a wonder that I didn’t fall off my bike!

I’ve read in my sleep, but have a hard time remembering any of it. Not only in English, but also rarely in French, Esperanto and (once) in a graphical programming language called Labview.

I usually have touch, smell and taste in my dreams, along with colour and sound. Apparently some people don’t have all of these…

Rigardu, kaj vi ekvidos.

I’ve read in my sleep, but usually just as a sort of plot device. But a few months ago I was taking part in a sort of online bbs role-playing game, and I dreamt about it a couple times. I would see and read the things people were posting and I remember getting frustrated that they weren’t doing what I wanted them to.

I get sound and color in my dreams for sure. I’ve had dreams where I’m going along and enjoying the dream, and then I realize that since I’m dreaming I can go back and do that one part over again. But it’s never quite as fun the second time, probably because I’ve realized at that point that it’s just a dream. :slight_smile:

I’ve also composed songs (lyrics and music) in my dreams, but when I wake up I can only remember pieces of them. This happened again last Saturday, and I can still remember the tune, and the meter of the lyrics, but I can only remember a few of the actual words. You know what sucks? Having a song stuck in your head that only you know, especially one you don’t know well. Arrrg!