Can you read Latin, Ancient Greek or another 'dead language'?

Kyla – I’m taking this hijack offline. Check your mail (the account in your profile)

[/hijack]

Dani

I started Latin in the first year of secondary school (aged 11) and Greek the following year - both were compulsory. I was one of only 3 in my class to take Latin and Greek A Levels (aged 17) and then went on to do a degree in Greek at university. All that ended 25 years ago and I would now have great difficulty if asked to translate a slab of Homer or Sophocles or something like that.

Hi all,

On a related note, I’ve opened this thread on Nota Bene, a word processor with multi-lingual support. Any opinions would be appreciated.

I took a classical Greek class this semester, and I felt like I was trying to read a book full of math symbols. Roughly four months of learning, and I can read the words aloud. If I have a dictionary, I can manage a vague understanding of the text - not bad, I guess, considering I slept through more than half my classes.

4 years of Latin in High School
2 years of Latin in college

Sloggining my way through Biblical greek.

I try reading at least once a week.

I’m a member of the last generation of altar bboys that had to memorize the Mass in Latin. After I did so I got Latin Made Simple (Actual Title) and started studying it on my own. I took two years of it in high school, and translated the beginning of {b]The Menaechmi** on my own, and went on to try Martial.
But it’s been a long time, and my Latin’s rusted into near-immobility.

Nobody else has studied Church Slavonic. :frowning:

We were given a basic “intro” course when our choir sang Janacek’s *Glagolitic Mass * two years ago.

not so fast ybeayf, i’ve been dealing with church slovanic since i was born. perhaps before as mum was in the church choir.

at this point i know more cs than russian and get some odd looks when i use a cs word rather than a russian one. if i’m speaking to clergy, choir directors, or readers they take it in stride.

Salve, Laurange!

Yeah, Latin reader here, though honestly it’s been a few years since I’ve taken any classes; I don’t know how much I still really remember without the slow aid of a dictionary.

pulls letters of Cicero off the shelf

Yeah, it’s mostly gone. Grammar’s still decent, but I’d have to look up over half of the words. sigh

I can still translate things for folks in a pinch, just not particularly quickly.