Can You Trademark Your Own Name?

Harlan Ellison ®.

I once belonged to a chatroom called “The Park”. Anyone remember it?

I entered Quasimodem® as my chat name because back in the early 90’s i thought the name was all mine.

Lot of good it did.

Google it and watch as all the others appear!:smiley:

Q

Coming to Wal-Mart this summer: Sarah Palin-brand Jesus!

Walter Taylor was a member of the Taylor Wine family. The family sold their company to Coca Cola. When Walter opened a winery, Coca Cola refused to allow him to use his own name, citing the trademark violation. It reached the point where not only couldn’t he name the brand “Taylor Wine,” but he couldn’t even put his last name anywhere on the label. For years, his Bully Hill wine has a label with the last name of the winemaker blacked out.

Thatmkind of stuff is pretty common and it’s perfectly justified. When someone like Kroc or Coca-Coca pays millions to buy someone out, in many cases the most valuable thing they’re paying for is the trademark. If the seller then turns around and uses the same mark again, then they’re basically interfering with the whole purpose of that gigantic buyout.

acsenray, thank you.

Now it remains to be seen if her desire is to protect a commercial venture, or that something else. Based on Exapno Mapcase’s research we just have to wait and see if Sarah will attempt to stretch her claim beyond honest commerce.

Well, it wasn’t that gigantic – the McDonald brothers only got a million each from Kroc for McDonalds. And it wasn’t that they turned around and did it again – it was their original restaurant, with the same name McDonalds that it had always had. It was not included in the sale to Kroc, he was angry about that, and then demanded they change the name.

It appears the Palin trademark appilcation has been denied, for now. She neglected to sign it, among other things.

Thank you for reading post #17.

Here are some portions of the TMEP offering more detail on some of these questions. (Note, particularly for us Dopers, the ruling denying registration of the name “Cecil Adams” for failure of a showing of use in commerce.)

This is a long quote, but I think it helps answer some of the questions here (and of course there’s no copyright problem since this is a quote from a government manual).

I’ve flown American before. Their planes smell like a urinal…

Sysco restaurant supplies (apparently) and Cisco routers and other networking hardware: The standard is confusion, not a literal match; if Sysco and Cisco were in the same business there would be a fair chance of confusion between the names.

This is why the Lindows Linux distribution had to be renamed Linspire, for example: ‘Windows’ may well be a common word in general usage, but when it comes to computer operating systems, it’s owned by Microsoft and even getting too close is not allowed.

For that reason, I can’t open a Windy’s fast food restaurant or sell Iowa Sound-brand speakers. Or, well, I could for a while until the relevant trademark owners legally made me stop.

See USC 1125 (c)(3)(A)(2)&(B) - the Lanham Act as modified by the Trademark Law Revision Act, Federal Trademark Anti-Dilution Act and Trademark Dilution Revision Act.

It’s important to remember that trademark law essentially exists to protect the consumer and although the dilution laws in the 90s started to change that, it is still the primary purpose and the debates around the federal dilution laws specifically addressed Constitutional concerns - so I’m not seeing this as a particular useful path for any politician seeking to avoid criticism.

Can I name my future child “[insert weird graphics here]”–later on he be nam**ed–not “known as”–the Sally formerly named [insert the previous graphics here]?

Get this kind of post off the thread please, mod

Indeed. Since it just repeats what everyone already knows, it adds nothing to the thread.

I’m not sure what you’re asking, but naming your child is not really a trademark law issue,

Andrew Lloyd Webber did trademark his name.

You’ll find hundreds if not thousands of registered trademarks based on personal names. Is there a point to be made by picking out any particular one?

I’m of the belief Palin’s trying to create a brand for herself, as noted with Tommy Hilfiger et al.

A famous probably apocraphyl story that’s related:
http://www.chillingeffects.org/resource.cgi?ResourceID=31

It seems pointless to trademark your own name for no reason, hence my belief that she intends to trade on it.