Capacitor Pyramids as Energy Source. Why or why not?

Not remotely on the same scale, but back when they were a thing (are they still a thing?) I had removed the exposed film from a disposable camera (to send of for normal processing–I never sent the whole camera off) and out of curiosity started disassembling the rest of it to examine. I accidentally found the two leads that discharged the capacitor for the flash. No physical damage done, but it was a bit of a sudden reminder that I wasn’t thinking things through enough.

This keeps the number of EE’s down and the wages of those that survive up? … that’s one mean labor union … yeesh … “Here’s a big capacitor for you to play with.” …

A CRT is a very high-quality capacitor. If you turn off an operating color TV, and immediately remove the HV lead, the tube can store a 25KV charge for many months in dry weather. I used to work in a TV repair shop, and always made a point of discharging any CRT sitting on the shelf before touching it. It was possible to draw a 1/2” spark from one that had been sitting for awhile.

I don’t know what you thing of a “True Capacitor”.

They are indeed used in automated switched banks for power factor correction, and can be the size of small cars even on an relatively low voltage (24,900 V) sub-station. Here’s a catalog since you want links.

We also use capacitor voltage dividers here on our high voltage test sets. Those capacitors stand about 12 feet tall, and 3 feet around. Here’s a catalog since you want links.

How would a transformer fulfill the power-factor correction functionality of a capacitor? A capacitor stores energy when the line is at peak voltage, whereas ISTM that a transformer would behave like a simple inductor, storing energy when the line is at peak current.