Car repair question

Because auto mechanics can’t possibly be educated and intelligent human beings. :rolleyes:

Maybe some are, but not these guys. They are not really mechanics, all they do is change tires. Which I think my dog can almost do that.

$364 just on a broken bolt demands an explanation, at a minimum - don’t know how it works in the US but I’d expect a phone call from the mechanic if that had happened, explaining the mishap and why it’s costing what it is. Not job done and bill served up.
It could well be reasonable - if the busted bolt was a nightmare to remove, say, or required the whole hub ditching and replacing like GaryT mentions. It could also be a complete piss-take, so you should try to get to the bottom of it.

I guess if they start trying to bullshit about corroded bolts you know they’re trying to do you over, seen as you had the thing out last week nae bother.

Nah, dog’s got no thumbs. He’d fumble the nuts.

You’re angry & frustrated right now. You should maybe chill out. As John Bender once wisely stated, in response to the failure of a metalic fastener: “the world is an imperfect place”. Shit breaks all the time, especially old shit. Know why I do my own work on my 87 Toyota? Because mechanics are afraid if they touch it, something adjacent will break and I might make them fix it. Well…plus I like working on it.

So the fact that you didn’t do it yourself makes you dumber than them and your dog right?

Maybe car repair works differently where you are than it does here, but I’ve never had a charge appear ‘unexpectedly’ on a repair bill. You get an estimate for the work that you want done, and if there are any changes the shop calls for an OK before performing any additional work.

What exactly did you ask them to do when you dropped off the car? What was the dollar estimate for that work?

What was done to the car that wasn’t included on the original estimate, and what were the charges for that work?

Did you give authorization for any work to be done that was not on the original estimate?

Actually I did change the flat tire myself. The only thing I wanted them to do was put the tire they sold me on the car. And in doing that very simple task, they broke the car. I’m not able to make a tire myself, that’s outside my area of expertise.

There was no estimate to me for any work other than “fix a broken bolt” which I figured was a $25 job. Nothing in writing or told to me. So that’s another thing they screwed up on , nobody told me it was going to cost $300+.

The only thing I really see that the shop did wrong was to not call and tell you there would be additional charges beyond the tire replacement, as Suburban Plankton said. But not all shops do that unless you ask.

As that famous guy on TV says, Don’t take the law into your own hands, take them to court!

And I sincerely hope you get your ass handed to you.

95% chance it never goes to court but they might be even dumber than they look and waste their time in court.

Not an expert, like Gary T, but I did find this response on a ClubIntegra Message Board, regarding the replacement of a broken stud:

I noticed similar quotes from others on the topic, with quoted prices similar to what you got.

I shall declare the following:

You were not cheated on the price.

The shop should have told you the price before letting you approve the repair.

If you were the last person to work on that bolt, by changing the flat, you’re going to have a hard time proving that they damaged it, instead of you.

A hand wrench is more likely to break a bolt than a power tool - which may have been set at the incorrect torque value?

Yup.

I am going to bring the court forms filled out to them to show I am ready to file. BTW it will cost me $100 just to file the suit but it’s worth it.

And I hope they spread the word to all the other mechanic shops in town to not deal with you.

What will this posturing achieve? You’ll look pretty stupid if it was a legitimate, defensible cost and they start laughing at your meaningless piece of paper.

Just go down there and let them know you were taken aback by the cost, and would like an explanation. If you’re not happy with their response then you can escalate matters.

I am not a mechanic, but when you put on the spare tire, did you use a torque wrench and tighten the bolt to the correct torque? If not perhaps you overtightened the bolt and stressed it.

Maybe you should go on Judge Judy, or some venue such as that. If I understand correctly, both plaintiff and defendant share an appearance fee, which consists of a predetermined pot of money. The actual award is deducted from that pot before being divided, so both parties have the potential to come out ahead, regardless of the judge’s decision.

You will probably not think so if you take this to court. (I am a volunteer with the LA Superior Court system. I’ve seen a lot of small claims cases.)

If you are in the US, this will go to small claims. You will have to file, then have them served. You will have to show up, possibly multiple times. Each time, you will have to wait, possibly for hours. Between the time and the expenses, I think people tend to average over $100 just to get a judgment. Granted the LA system is very busy, but I’ve actually seen cases take over a year to be heard.

You’ll get five minutes in front of the judge if you’re lucky. When you tell the judge that they asked you if you wanted to take the car elsewhere and you said no? I’m guessing that won’t go over well.

The chances of the judge granting anything near what you are asking (whatever it is) are slim. And then the defendant can appeal. And if you win that, then you have to collect.

Honestly, I would never advise any average individual to go to small claims unless the claim is much higher and they have extremely good evidence (much better than just a gut feeling that you’ve been screwed). Businesses can be a different story.

If they’ve been in business for a while, they may have more familiarity with the system than you do.

Obviously, I am not you, and I’m not your mommy or your lawyer or your accountant. But I have seen hundreds of people think they were gonna stick it to someone by suing them and finding they have only managed to screw themselves over and waste everyone’s time.