Car Shopping for Special Needs Child - Help Please

Np problem, guys. The confusion was understandable.

I wish they’ll delete the “Reported for Spam” post, along with the spam post…

>sigh< If you keep a car 15 years like I do it’s not so crazy - by buying new you know it’s been maintained properly from the start, which enables you to keep it a decade and a half. If you’re buying used make sure the vehicle is inspected (by you or by someone who is knowledgeable) so you know it’s in good shape when you get it.

However, given that your daughter is growing, she will likely require more and not less medical equipment in the future, and so forth, I strongly suspect you will NOT find this suitable for your needs in 10 years time. So… buy a used Element or something similar in good shape now, and be prepared to swap it for something larger later.

Because you will, when she “graduates” to an honest-to-Og power wheelchair, need an honest-to-Og van with a lift.

However - you can ask dealerships if they have “almost new” vehicles. My husband got a fantastic deal on his first car because he purchased it after it was used for a special event - as it had 110 miles on it, it could not be sold as new, but it was nearly so.

Another thing - very important - if you buy from a dealer or if you need work done on it SAY IT’S FOR A DISABLED PERSON. Sometimes you can get a break on cost, and it’s worth asking. When we bought our Toyota we got it slightly modified to make it easier for my husband to use. (he’s disabled, though not as bad your daughter). Toyota only charged us for parts, not labor. It was, effectively, about 2/3 off the usual price. Don’t be afraid to inquire about this sort of thing, you need to save money wherever you can. These sorts of price breaks aren’t necessarily advertised, but they’re out there if you ask.