Casablanca: Was Louis A Rapist? A GD in CS.

I look at it as more of a bartering or quid pro quo.

Rape would infer some type of force was used, which is clearly not the case. Enticement - yes, force - no

Rape in Casablanca? I’m shocked! Shocked!

Zoggie, go see the movie. Trust me on this one.

Pfft. My father was a relentlessly self-improving boulangerie owner from Belgium with low grade narcolepsy and a penchant for buggery. My mother was a fifteen year old French prostitute named Chloe with webbed feet. My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.

Not rape, unless you want to use an absurdly broad definition. Sexual harrassment; abuse of a position of power.

Rick Blain: flawed hero.

Capt. Louis Renault: really flawed hero.

They certainly WOULD care. Louis undoubtedly kicked upstairs some of his proceeds and, unless they wanted sloppy seconds, they weren’t getting their cut from this transaction. OTOH, an exit visa cost him the same, whatever he sold it for, but I’m sure his boss would insist on learning where these pliable young ladies could be found before their flights left.

“Casting couch” caliber of sleaze.

Not rape. A rapist gives his victim no choice. Renault did give the women a choice – they could sleep with him and get out of Casablanca; they could pay him and get out of Casablanca; or they could stay in Casablanca in hopes of finding another option which suited them better.

Creepy and sleazy, yes. Rape, no.

About Renault’s attractiveness – I first saw the movie at around age 16 or so. At that time I remember thinking he was an old man. I’d have stayed in Casablanca forever before sleeping with him. I saw the movie most recently last year (at age 45) – totally different! He didn’t seem so old anymore and vastly more attractive to my older eyes. This viewing I was thinking, “Well, shit… sure I’d sleep with him to get home. I’ve slept with far worse than that for less incentive.”

There is a difference between sexual blackmail and rape, n’est-ce pas?

I can imagine a fair number of refugees hitting Casablanca and saying “who do I have to fuck to get out of here?”

It took 22 responses to get to this one?

We’re slackin’, people.

As it happens, I’ve got some Letters of Transit. . . .